arteejee

A site of satirical musings, commentary and/or rhetorical criticism of the world at large.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Southeastern, Pennsylvania, United States

Sunday, May 04, 2014

Down and Rejected


My blog muses have abandoned me again. I don’t mind them taking time off once in awhile, but damn! It seems like they are off duty more often than on duty any more. The worse part about it is I can only imagine they are having much better time off than I’ve had lately.

I’m guessing my muses are deeply involved in drunken debauchery somewhere in a galaxy far far away.

As for myself lately, I’ve been working too excess and so afraid to take any time off. In recent times, my body seems to take the thought of time off as not a time to relax, but rather to crash and burn altogether. Seriously, I am considering never taking a vacation again as long as I live. 

At present our cat, Nyla, is resting in a sunpatch area of the living room. It may be my imagination, but she seems bored. We believe she misses Meredith, as we all do. Worse, our efforts to find a companion for her have hit a wall.

We thought we found someone for Nyla last week, but this week the manager at the shelter rejected our application. As she told me in our phone conversation yesterday, the manager was concerned about a lapse in not getting our previous cats to the vet as often as we should have. She said she could “forgive two or three years”, but her review with our vet showed a time period of seven years between appointments. I thought the vet most likely has the best records, but I told the manager that doesn’t seem possible. I’m sure that we had called the vet more often than she has been told. No matter, she was not allowing us to adopt the cat we had picked out, for whom we had already bought another litter box, and had set aside some actual and emotional time this weekend to welcome Nyla’s new companion.

Warrior Queen was out shopping when the call came. To say she was “not amused” at my news is the understatement of the year. I love my wife, but wow, does she give new meaning to the concept of a woman scorned! I can’t print her reaction in this blog, but I’ll let your imagination (like my muses) run wild.

We have had the hardest time adopting another cat this go-round. It’s not like we expect the prospective adoptees to have a five minute audition prepared, although the thought of a calico crooning a medley of hits from Cats is enough for me to choke on a hairball. This time, a number of them seemed downright ambivalent to being adopted. Usually at least one or two will walk briskly over to one of us and jump up as if to say, ”Here I am! The feline of your dreams!” Not this time. Our efforts to warm up to them could not rouse them out of their cat naps and apathy.

Our next course is to contact our vet to get an accurate accounting of the care she has given our children. We believe that the shelter manager’s judgment was based on incomplete information. Particularly troubling is a time period when the vet treated Kelly for his final illness in 2006, which is precisely in the middle of this so-called time lapse. Fact finding is in our immediate future, and then our search begins again in other areas. I would hope that we could have a good relationship with our local shelter again soon, but it would have to come after a certain shelter manager eats her words.

Woman’s scorn and all that, you know…

(Thank you for reading. Come back, muses! Oh, and come back sober this time!)

8 Comments:

Blogger Ur-spo said...

I advise you both get your toenails clipped and painted.

May 4, 2014 at 1:43 PM  
Blogger Amanda said...

Funny comment from Michael! Can you go to another shelter and tell them you want to adopt your first kitty? Lie! The cat won't mind at all.

May 4, 2014 at 3:58 PM  
Blogger David Jeffreys said...

I just clipped MoJo's long and pointed toenails. He doesn't want them painted. This info is relevant only in that a certain Ur-Spo brought it up.

May 4, 2014 at 6:02 PM  
Blogger Travel said...

My comments on being turned down for adopting a cat would be unprintable - a man scorned. Shelters across the country kill unwanted cats, and others refuse a loving home because you lack veterinarian records. This is silly, someplace there is a loving cat in need of a loving home, I am sure you will find the right match.

May 4, 2014 at 6:19 PM  
Anonymous Janey said...

Fuck the Kitty Cottage! (I imagine this is something along the lines of what Warrior Queen said, and I second her.)

The KC should already know that you two are excellent cat parents; if not, there are milions -- literally -- of cats who would LOVE to be welocmed into your home, and who would love you back for doing so!

May 6, 2014 at 7:13 AM  
Blogger todd gunther said...

Thank you Ur-Spo for your suggestion. Actually I'm overdue for a heel scraping. A pedicure is definitely in my near future.

Hi Nadedge, and thank you for your suggestion. we will be going to other shelters this weekend. Watch for updates!

Thank you David for your comment. Don't worry about relevancy. I think Ur-Spo's excellent suggestion was also in response to a comment I made on his recent adventure.

Thank you Travel for your excellent point. Perhaps it wasn't meant to be for us to adopt through Kitty Cottage this time. I tell myself this to nurse my wounded heart.

Janey, once again the soul of brevity! You summed up Warrior Queen's reaction perfectly! Our search will continue.

May 6, 2014 at 7:55 AM  
Blogger slugmama said...

About 10 years we were looking for a new dog to add to the pack here. I couldn't BELIEVE the utterly ridiculous requirements most of these "rescue" groups had and what high hoops they wanted you to jump through. You'd like you were adopting a human child!
And the cost?!? Puhleez....adopting a foreign orphan was cheaper! lol

I'm with a.m......fuck em all!

Go to the local aspca type shelter.
They are less picky and cheaper.
They seem to be the ones who put adopting out their charges ahead of making money and feeling so smug about themselves.


Heck, I could have brought you 5 kittens home from Louisians for you! My daughter's in-laws to-be have 5 8 week old kittens to find homes for and 3 3 week old pussies that will need homes as well soon.

May 7, 2014 at 10:57 AM  
Blogger todd gunther said...

Thank you Slugmama for your encouraging words and your kind offer.

May 13, 2014 at 8:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home