arteejee

A site of satirical musings, commentary and/or rhetorical criticism of the world at large.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Southeastern, Pennsylvania, United States

Sunday, October 15, 2017

58…With A Technicality



I will make this short as possible so I can get on with the business of celebrating my 58th birthday.  I’ve told this story before, but I will tell it again because I think it’s fascinating and it has sort of set the tenure for my life since.  Recording today as my birthday is a technicality.

I was actually born just after midnight on October 16, 1959.  Due to the eccentricities of American culture, we have what is known as Daylight Saving Time.  The October date falls within that time frame each year as opposed to Standard Time.  By law, the delivering physician (by the name of Strunk as I recall) was obligated to record my arrival on Standard Time, or one hour earlier just after 11:00, October 15, 1959.

So be it!

We have a quiet day planned.  I will get much of my usual Sunday chores accomplished, or those once a week tasks that need to be done before the new work week begins.  The highlight will be Sunday Brunch at the William Penn Inn, where I will satisfy my craving for peel ‘n’ eat shrimp and other brunch delicacies.  Then a stop at the liquor store on the way home for some anniversary shopping.  Warrior Queen and I will celebrate 25 years together on Tuesday.  There will be another post to mark that occasion, but we won’t have a proper celebration until time allows next weekend.

As for my wishes for the day, alas, I will always wish for something that is out of my reach.  Yesterday I found myself wanting to spend a part of this day with people who were a big part of my life.   Of course, there would be my parents, my friend from high school, Nick; one of my friends from college, Paul; one of my best college professors and friends I ever had, Dr. Mary Kenny Badami; and the college friend who left us too soon earlier this year, Janey.  This wish is out of reach because they are all gone now.  I just hope that somewhere on another astral plane that Mary and Janey are hoisting a Heineken to me at this very moment.

Beer and alcoholic libations in the hereafter?   Why not?  I refuse to believe the old polka declaration, “in heaven there is no beer.”  I will put this thought forward: if there truly is no beer in heaven there is truly no justice in the universe at all!

So, I will be contented with spending the day with the most wonderful Warrior Queen, and the technicality that even with all my medical problems popping up this year, that the universe is not done with me yet.   Apparently, I still have a purpose to fulfill in this life.

So be it!

Having awoken this morning with the knowledge that my heart is still beating, I can only be grateful for the friends still here, the love I can still feel, and the thought that I have earned the right to do good for another day in this life.

(Thank you for reading.  And thank you God for letting my heart beat one more day.)

7 Comments:

Blogger Bob said...

Happy Birthday and Happy Early Anniversary!
Go forth and celebrate!

October 15, 2017 at 10:35 AM  
Blogger Raybeard said...

Most interesting, RTG. I'm in a similar quandary regarding my birthday date, being born at a time (so my mother claimed) when it was actually still Oct FOURTEENTH in England, and as I'm living here maybe that should be marked as being my birthdate.
Btw: I've read since that, for some reason, real or imagined, the most 'popular' time to be born is 2.45 a.m., which is precisely the moment my mum told me I was. Reading that, I've ever since wondered whether that particular time is a 'default' position for those who just can't remember the true fact. Spoils it somewhat - but I'm not losing sleep over it.

So, renewing my wishes to you that you've already read on my own blog, do have a fab remainder of the FIFTEENTH!

October 15, 2017 at 11:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Happy Happy Happy Birthday RTG!!! Thank you for all the interesting reading (even though I don't always leave a comment)

~ Freckles

October 15, 2017 at 11:35 AM  
Blogger todd gunther said...

Thank you, Bob. We will celebrate!

Interesting story Raybeard. The 15th has always worked for me. I think I'll keep it there.

Thank you, Freckles for your wishes.

October 15, 2017 at 5:47 PM  
Anonymous Old Lurker said...

If there was confusion about your birthdate then I think you are entitled to two birthday celebrations (but only one birthday, because otherwise you would be turning 116).

October 15, 2017 at 7:04 PM  
Blogger Dave R said...

Happy, Happy Birthday!

I do believe that Muslims get to do a lot more in the Hereafter than Christians do... of course, we don't really know what it is that Christians do, do we? Turn Matrix Battery packs perhaps.

October 15, 2017 at 7:55 PM  
Blogger todd gunther said...

Thank you, Dave R.

October 20, 2017 at 11:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home