arteejee

A site of satirical musings, commentary and/or rhetorical criticism of the world at large.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Southeastern, Pennsylvania, United States

Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Release the Democrat–ics!

I know this is hard to believe, but I do sometimes try to find other things to write about than stupid President tricks. I don’t necessarily mean that the President is stupid, but it could also mean that his actions or words are stupid. Then again both meanings could apply. His remarks on NPR (as quoted in The Philadelphia Inquirer*) leaves him wide open to many interpretations. He started out apologizing for leaving the ic off the word “Democratic” during his State of the Union address. Okay, fine, but he kept talking and put his foot in his mouth again.

He is quoted as saying, “There is distrust in Washington. I am surprised, frankly, at the amount of distrust that exists in this town. And I’m sorry it’s the case, and I’ll work hard to elevate it. (Italics mine.)

Personally, I think the ic controversy got more press than it deserved. The rest of his statement makes me want to slap my forehead in disbelief. Let’s take it one sentence at a time.

This distrust he mentioned didn’t just spring up yesterday. If we must put a start date on it, then may I suggest that it started on the day Pierre L’Enfant surveyed the swampy area where the Lincoln Memorial now stands and declared, “Let’s build a capital here!” I dare say that, except for a few periods of time when the country was truly united behind one cause, that the distrust has continued unabated ever since.

After acknowledging a difference of opinion, President Bush can then take the lead of resolution and say something that will inspire both sides to seek common ground. Unfortunately, he didn’t do that; he declared war on those opposing him. This has been true to his form all along. On one hand he says that all debate is welcome, then acts surprise and hurt when someone actually takes him up on his offer. Worse, he labels the debaters as people who are aiding and abetting the enemy. Oh yeah, this really helps cool emotions on both sides of the aisle.

So now he wants to escalate the troop numbers in Iraq, and elevate the conflict between him and his political opponents. Now the ball is in the Democrats, I mean, Democratic court. I imagine they will react by siccing Obama and Hillary on the Fox network. They could probably unleash Howard “Mad Dog” Dean too. John Kerry should probably stay home and keep quiet.

I really believe that the President meant to say “eliminate” the distrust. I can see where he got confused. After all, they both start with the letter “e”, and they both have virtually the same amount of syllables, and um...okay, I admit it. I’m grasping at straws, and for whom? I have to realize that the leader of the free world is not able to master the English language.

Fortunately, he realizes this too. During the same interview President Bush said, “I’m not that good at pronouncing words anyway.”

AMEN!

*"Bush says missing ‘ic’ an oversight", The Philadelphia Inquirer, January 30, 2007, Page A13.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home