arteejee

A site of satirical musings, commentary and/or rhetorical criticism of the world at large.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Southeastern, Pennsylvania, United States

Sunday, June 21, 2020

Sunday Morning Post (V.2, #24): Reflections on Dad and a Grand Dame


First Reflection: on Father

Today is Father’s Day, and if my Dad were still around, I would try to track down a supply of his favorite delicacy: oysters.  I don’t recall that he would ever treat himself to a meal of these at home, but if they were on the menu wherever we were when we went out, he would make sure to order them.  It didn’t matter if they were fried or in a stew, they were fair game. 

Another random thought about my father:  given today’s racial tensions — which seem to spike and ebb with passing events — I believe my father would have understood why tensions are so great right now.  I have no doubt that he was exposed to a lot of ethnic vulgarities as he grew up in Northeast Philadelphia, but he was careful not to expose my brother and I to the same environment.  I only recall that he only uttered one racist term in all the years I knew him.  I refuse to believe that one offense should be used to judge his beliefs throughout his lifetime.  

So, I will take a moment today to think about Raymond Thomas Gunther and all the wonderfulness he did impart to both of his sons.  Thanks, Dad.

Second Reflection: Dame Vera Lynn

I am almost embarrassed to say that I was introduced to Vera Lynn, as many of us were, by Stanley Kubrick.  His use of her best remembered performance (We’ll Meet Again) at the end of his surreal satire on modern global political confrontations was a worthy use of the song’s optimism for mankind’s survival.  Dr. Strangelove was fictional, of course, but the “what if’s” of the films premise is not very comforting.  Fortunately, Vera Lynn offered the comfort a full generation before when a very real confrontation threatened to destroy the world.

I was saddened to hear of her passing this week at the relatively young age of 103.  From all that I have read about her she appears to have lived a nice full life. She lived long enough to see her song inspire all of us again for the current global health crisis.  No doubt it will continue to be used in the future to help us all get through this sometimes a blessing, sometimes a curse called life.

We’ll remember her and her message here with a performance from the same titled film released in 1943.


(Thank you for reading.  RIP Dame Vera Lynn.)

8 Comments:

Blogger Bob said...

103!
RIP You've earned it.

June 21, 2020 at 9:48 AM  
Blogger Debra She Who Seeks said...

I grew up steeped in World War II lore from my parents so I feel like I always knew who Vera Lynn was. She certainly did inspire that generation.

A nice reminiscence of your father too.

June 21, 2020 at 9:58 AM  
Blogger Ur-spo said...

two very nice panegyrics indeed
I do not eat oysters; others may have mine.

June 21, 2020 at 10:25 AM  
Blogger Hot guys said...

Dads are the best... 👌🏻 If you have them.

At least one. And a good one. 🤷‍♂️

June 21, 2020 at 10:55 AM  
Blogger Dave R said...

What a great song!

Yesterday a customer wearing a Victory in Jesus T-shirt asked if I had any sons. I replied "no, I have dogs, they're much easier to raise." He did not like that answer.

June 21, 2020 at 2:28 PM  
Blogger anne marie in philly said...

you got THAT right, dave! and you pissed off a jeebus freak; good for you!

June 21, 2020 at 4:27 PM  
Blogger todd gunther said...

I couldn't agree more, Bob.

Thank you, Debra. We need more like her now.

Hi Spo. I will gladly devour your oysters with relish. And perhaps a little tartar sauce....

I think I had a good one, Hot Guys.

Thank you Dave R for your anecdotes. I hope his reaction did not ruin your day.

June 21, 2020 at 7:01 PM  
Blogger Moving with Mitchell said...

Such a beautiful song and rendition. She was so talented.

Anne Marie sent me in your direction more than a month ago and I have finally gotten here. Interesting thoughts on white versus blue collar. I'm also a mix. My father was blue collar when I was very young but white collar most of my life. I've been mostly white collar (tried working in Home Depot for a month when I was between jobs and they said I had to start at the bottom... It didn't go well.) What's interesting, however, is that if I generalize I have more trust/respect for intelligent/enlightened blue collar workers.

Don't know how my father would react if he were alive today, but I think I'd be disappointed.

July 2, 2020 at 7:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home