arteejee

A site of satirical musings, commentary and/or rhetorical criticism of the world at large.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Southeastern, Pennsylvania, United States

Friday, June 27, 2008

The Revenge of the Nobama Mamas

Last week, I wrote about my reasons why I didn’t vote for Senator Hillary Clinton in the Pennsylvania Democratic primary. Space and time did not allow me to write about how wonderful it was that Clinton made it this far, and how exciting it was that we had the chance to vote for a woman in the primary. I want to rectify that situation now.

So far, we have had two wonderful choices in the Democratic primary this year. The outcome was destined to be a first regardless who won. It would have been either the first African-American or the first woman to run for President. We should appreciate that this will be a historically important election in our nation’s history. Unfortunately, there are some people who are not happy that Clinton lost to Obama.

My thoughts today go out to the Clinton supporters who are now being called “Nobama Mamas” (by Slate.com) because they are vowing not to vote for Obama in the fall. These Clinton supporters naturally have every right to feel slighted at the primary results, but I hope that they can turn their hurt feelings into positive energy. Now I don’t intend to influence your vote and tell you to vote for Obama or else this November. After all, this would not be ethical, and besides, it is your vote and you should choose how you want your vote to be cast. Nor will I cheapen myself and resort to subliminal messages (VOTE FOR OBAMA) carefully inserted between the lines of my text. No, this won’t do, and besides, it would not be fair to these wonderful, intelligent people who previously supported Hillary Clinton.

I should remind the Clinton supporters that while it would have been a great achievement for a woman to be elected President this year, it just isn’t the right time for this event to happen. Every great event in history does not occur all at once. Instead, the landmark events happen one step at a time in small increments. (VOTE FOR OBAMA)

Let’s use this same topic of a woman elected President as an example. During the first 150 years of this country’s existence, there were a number of events culminating in a movement to give women the right to vote. This was finally achieved in 1920. Another small increment was reached at the 1972 Democratic Convention when Shirley Chisholm ran for the nomination. The next step happened in 1984 when Geraldine Ferraro was tapped to be Walter Mondale’s running mate. This brings us to the next level when Hillary Clinton ran a significant campaign for the nomination this year.

Now the Clintonites might respond, “Well, this is all well and good, but the fact remains that males have ruled many cultures and societies in world history down through the centuries. Does this mean they achieved their leadership positions one small step at a time?” My answer to this question is, “Well, no, probably not.”

In fact, I will dare say that the male of the species achieved their leadership positions in world history, not by such niceties as democracy and elections, but rather through aggression, guns and warfare. In other words, we cheated. I’ll illustrate my point by just listing the titles of various time periods of world history: The Trojan War, The Hundred Years War, The War of the Roses, The French and Indian War, the McCartney/Mills marriage...I hope you’re seeing a pattern here. (VOTE FOR OBAMA). I have never heard of a historical time period given a title like “Peace and Serenity All Over the World”, and if there was it wouldn’t sell many history books.

Anyway, I’m way off topic now, but my point is that the Clinton supporters should find some sort of consolation in supporting Barack Obama. Of course, if you want to be spiteful about it and seek revenge by voting for Grandpa McCain, then by all means go ahead and throw your vote away. After all, it is your vote and only you can decide how you want it to count. (VOTE FOR OBAMA) Just don’t come crying to me when things go horribly wrong in this country...again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home