arteejee

A site of satirical musings, commentary and/or rhetorical criticism of the world at large.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Southeastern, Pennsylvania, United States

Sunday, September 29, 2019

Sunday Morning Post (V.1, #36): And Then I Wrote….


From the Arteejee archives, circa August 2018:

"And now my big news: this week I will finally have my long-awaited hip replacement surgery.  The left hip will be done first, followed by the right hip eight weeks after.  All has gone well so far.  I’ve been cleared for surgery by my PCP, cardiologist, and Steven Seagal.  I’ve had another cardiac stress test and pre-admission testing in preparation for my procedure.  It has been a few weeks of one medical appointment after another.”

(EDITOR'S NOTE #1, 9/29/19:  the right hip arthroplasty - that’s the fancy medical term for a replacement - didn’t happen in eight weeks in 2018. Rather it is happening this week on October 2, 2019.   This year, I also had to get approval from my pulmonologist, but I didn’t have to have another stress test, thank God.  The reference to Steven Seagal in this excerpt is from last year’s blog entry where I made some pithy comments about Seagal’s consorting with Russian dictators.  Trust me, it was hilarious.  I guess you had to be there.)

“My goal is to gain a new pair of hips which will hopefully alleviate my arthritis, allow me to regain my ability to do day-to-day activities, and meet my out-of-pocket maximum before my health insurance benefit year ends on November 30.”

(EDITOR’S NOTE #2:  these are still my goals. Another change:  this year my benefit year ends with the calendar year, December 31.)

"Yay for meeting my out-of-pocket!"

(EDITOR'S NOTE #3: Double yay this year!)

"Anyway, I anticipate that my 3-4 weeks of recovery time will be restful punctuated by intense physical therapy sessions and perhaps more time to cast satirical notions on the world via this blog."

(EDITOR’S NOTE #4:  This sentiment hasn’t changed.  I will rest, read books and perhaps start a slide scanning project. More details about this project later.)

"I can hardly wait!"

(EDITOR’S NOTE #5: This sentiment has not changed from last year. Seriously, I can hardly wait.  I want to exercise, walk more without wincing and other daily activities that have become a pain in the ass/hip to do in recent years.  One thing I won’t be doing: emulating the Nicholas Brothers.  I was never in that good shape to do their moves.  Man, those leg splits make me cringe, but those guys had to be the most talented dancers ever.  See for yourself below.)


(Thank you for reading.  Man, those two cats were too cool for Hollywood!)

10 Comments:

Blogger Debra She Who Seeks said...

Good luck with your hip replacement surgery and enjoy your restful "down time!"

September 29, 2019 at 9:45 AM  
Blogger Bob said...

New hips! Yasssssss!
Speedy recovery and good thoughts headed your way.

September 29, 2019 at 10:53 AM  
Blogger todd gunther said...

Thank you, Debra.
I really need this down time.

Thank you, bob. Life can only get better

September 29, 2019 at 7:55 PM  
Blogger Ur-spo said...

hip replacement! soon you will be brandy and a billygoat or so I hope.

September 29, 2019 at 11:18 PM  
Blogger Mistress Maddie said...

I hope all goes well with your procedure. I am sure it will as you two seem to be from the Unsinkable Molly Brown tree line!!!

And just think, while relaxing and recovering you'll have a front row seat to watch our current insane dictator sink even lower...if that is tis possible?

Smooches! Loved the clip

September 30, 2019 at 2:54 AM  
Blogger Dave R said...

Good Luck with the Surgery! Walking is great! Your legs are the engines of your body... with the new hip you can put them to work!

September 30, 2019 at 5:08 PM  
Blogger Travel said...

Looking forward to an easy stroll down the sidewalk of life, for now, one step at a time, it will be better soon.

October 2, 2019 at 7:13 AM  
Blogger todd gunther said...

What? The billygoats got into the brandy again? Thank you, Spo, and BTW Happy Groucho Marx Day!

Thank you, Maddie. Unfortunately our television is in the basement and it might be a few weeks until I feel strong enough to venture down there. I'll keep abreast of the circus via Huff Po.

Thank you Dave R, for the well wishes.

Thank you Travel. Yes, I should better navigate the side walks of Center City when you visit again. :)

October 2, 2019 at 9:23 AM  
Blogger anne marie in philly said...

good news, fellow bloggers: 90 minute surgery, no complications, in recovery now. 2-3 day hospital stay. best news - ALL PAID FOR by his health insurance!

October 2, 2019 at 3:39 PM  
Blogger Mistress Maddie said...

That is good news, and even better news!!!!!!

October 7, 2019 at 1:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home