arteejee

A site of satirical musings, commentary and/or rhetorical criticism of the world at large.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Southeastern, Pennsylvania, United States

Tuesday, October 07, 2008

Heart Fine, but…

Dear blog readers,

It is Tuesday, October 7, 2008, and it is my first day at home recovering from open heart surgery. The surgery itself happened on September 30, and I have spent the succeeding days at the wonderful Lankenau Hospital. Lankenau has a superb reputation in the area for their heart care, and I am now living proof of that well-deserved reputation.

My recovery period will be four to six weeks. In that time I am prohibited from driving or even riding in the front of the car. Apparently air bags are to be feared by open heart patients more than George W's mythological weapons of mass destruction.

Since I can’t drive and I am unable to return to work, I’ll have a lot of time on my hands. Therefore, I may be expanding my blog entries to more than two a week. I don’t want to see my forthcoming entries devolve into a series of health reports...unless I can make them interesting in a pithy sort of way. After all, how many times will you put up with reading this: “Today, I got up, went to the bathroom, showered, went to the bathroom, made my breakfast, went to the bathroom...” Okay, I can hear some of you drifting off already.

Besides, there are more important subjects about which to write. For example, we are now less than a month away from what could be the most historic Presidential election in American history. It is an exciting time to be alive and participating in the democratic process. I hope my blog musings are able to keep up with everything we’ll be exposed to by the media. Also, I smell moose blood: I want to rip Sarah Palin a new asshole so bad...but that’ll wait for tomorrow.

As for today and my health report, I can sum it with the statement, “Heart fine, but my chest is being a pain in the ass!” Please take a moment, dear reader, to close your eyes, and imagine a graphic illustration of that last sentence. Gross, isn’t it?

I can explain further: my energy level is improving, my appetite is returning, but my chest is very sore. It appears that all of my chest muscles, ligaments, ribs and bones that were stretched, pulled apart, or otherwise cracked open are objecting (LOUDLY) to the treatment to which they were subjected. This part of my body is pissed off, and I can’t blame it. For now, all I can do is wait for Anne Marie to come home tonight with the very nice pills that’ll make me feel better.

Let me leave today with a deep gratitude once again to the staff of Lankenau Hospital, my family, my friends, my coworkers, and neighbors who are giving Anne Marie and I so much emotional and physical support at this time. The pain of my incision will fade in time, but the love I’m feeling today will overwhelm me for some time to come. Thank you all for your support.

1 Comments:

Blogger PJ said...

Gee Todd, I'm so glad to see that you're recovering. Heart surgery is a huge deal, even today when it's common place. It's good that you got such wonderful care.

October 29, 2008 at 11:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home