arteejee

A site of satirical musings, commentary and/or rhetorical criticism of the world at large.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Southeastern, Pennsylvania, United States

Monday, December 08, 2014

The Holiday Season (So Far)



The holiday season is happening again and engulfing us in good cheer whether we want it or not. We’re surviving nicely, and, as the cliché goes, so far, so good. Well, it’s not all candy canes and holly.

Our gift shopping is mostly done, but I’m a bit slow in mailing my Christmas cards and Warrior Queen has barely started decorating. The faux Christmas tree is out of its box, but the decorations are still in the big plastic bin which resembles a blue, polystyrene sarcophagus. 
 
This year the anniversary of significant historical events are actually falling on the original days when they happened. This year, December 7th, the date “which will live in infamy” actually fell on a Sunday. We lost John Lennon on this day and date in 1980. And, oh yes, Merry Christmas!

I know these are horrible things to bring up in the Christmas season, but I can’t help it. I’m a historian at heart, so deal with it!

I have my annual infusion of sickening sweet sentimentality behind me when I watched It’s A Wonderful Life on network tv. I’ve watched it by myself for years: Warrior Queen can’t get past the scene when George Bailey melts down in front of his family, but every year I’m struck by a new aspect of the drama. This year’s epiphany: George Bailey goes from suicidal to gaily skipping (yes, you read that right, gaily skipping) down the snow covered streets of Bedford Falls all the while shouting/praising the virtue of small town American values in a matter of cinematic seconds.

My question: has anyone written a doctoral dissertation on George Bailey’s obvious bi-polar tendencies? Someone must have written it by now...

The spirit of the season is coming over me ever so slowly despite my infusion of holiday tradition. My mood is tempered by my normally dark personality anyway, so I’m not too concerned. I do have one health issue to deal with. My back still aches from time to time, and occasionally - to paraphrase Mr. D.P. Gumby - “My eyeball hurts!”

I had a vision appointment last week, expecting to get an update prescription for my eye glasses. The verdict: my present prescription is fine; it’s the eyes that are going downhill. My examining doctor gave me a referral to a surgeon who specializes in laser surgery.

It appears that I will need to put cataract surgery on my 2015 to do list. Yayyy!!! And here I was so worried that I won’t have any fun next year! Silly me!

My initial consult is late January and I hope they can schedule the surgery before my current benefit year expires. The procedure - which I hope is covered by my medical insurance - will most likely eat up the remainder of my insanely high deductible, provided it can be done before the end of February.

I’m not looking forward to incurring more healthcare debt, but, if the timing is right, then my insurer may have to give a little of their own skin this year to assist me in meeting my expenses.

That’s right, Independence Blue Cross! If I go down financially this year then I’m taking you with me! Mooo-ha-ha-ha-ha…or however you care to spell the sound of diabolical laughter.

So, no excessive seasonal joy yet, but we have still have a few weeks to go.

(Thank you for reading. Happy Christmas and give peace a chance!)

6 Comments:

Blogger Raybeard said...

Have never understand the appeal of THAT film. (IAWL) I know so many swear by it as a 'pick-me-up'. Has always had the very reverse effect on me. One of just many things I'll be giving a thankful 'miss' to over the next couple of weeks.

Keep us posted about that pesky eye problem. Not exactly fun to have it hovering over one as the New Year approaches. But I do send you good wishes that it's over and done with without too much discomfort and disturbance to 'normal' life.

December 9, 2014 at 10:15 AM  
Blogger Raybeard said...

And an H.C. to you too, Sir, should there not be another opportunity.!

December 9, 2014 at 10:17 AM  
Blogger todd gunther said...

Thank you Raybeard for the holiday and health wishes. We also hope you have a wonderful safe holiday. As far as "Wondeful Life", i do see how the sickening, syrupy sweet sentiment can turn people off, which is one reason i enjoy jabbing it. All I can say is it struck a chord in me many years ago, and viewing satisfies another part of me despite its possible diabetic inducing side effects.

December 10, 2014 at 7:08 AM  
Blogger Ur-spo said...

The 20/20 line is DEFODPCT
memorize this and you won't need cataract surgery.

December 12, 2014 at 12:40 AM  
Blogger todd gunther said...

Thank you Spo for the tip! That's Dee Eff Pee, no, wait, Dee Tee, Ohh, no, no wait i'll get this yet.
Oh i know, stand guard, and not to leave the room even if you come get him....no,wait....

December 13, 2014 at 9:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Soooooooooooo glad I don't have to worry about medical insurance, benefit years, and deductibles. I may have to wait twice as long (as Americans) to get a procedure done, but reading about US healthcare makes my blood pressure spike.

~ Freckles

January 11, 2016 at 10:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home