arteejee

A site of satirical musings, commentary and/or rhetorical criticism of the world at large.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Southeastern, Pennsylvania, United States

Thursday, July 04, 2019

Happy Fourth of July, Everyone!*


I would be remiss as a historian if I did not remark on the Fourth of July holiday.

The holiday this year is becoming more like celebrating Christmas to me:  the current situation does not put me in the proper mood.   I see our decidedly Christian nation doing nasty un-Christian-like things, like setting up inhumane detention centers at our southern border and acting all put out when the LGBTQ community wants the same rights as everyone else.  I haven’t felt the Christian mood at Christmas for years.  The evangelicals fervent support of the President‘s administration only makes my mood more sour.

Ditto now for the Fourth of July.  Not feeling patriotic this year as our non-partisan celebration of liberty is run over by tanks and other armored vehicles on the National Mall.  No doubt this will make our leader teary-eyed with memories of the military parades in the USSR and other despotic regimes.  The morning media reports highlight that members of the military participating in today’s DC festivities are given instructions on what and what not to say if members of the media ask them for a comment.  So much for their First Amendment rights!

So, here’s to the hamburger, hot dog, and salads I will eat later today.  No fireworks for us, other than comforting our cats as they freak out at the explosions outside our house.  And I’ll think fondly on America’s future when I hope we can snatch it back from the despots in the name of democracy.

We’ll end with two videos for the holiday.  The first is a selection from 1776 in what I believe to be appropriate for this year’s mood.   The second is a tribute to comedian Arte Johnson, who passed away yesterday.




*For what it’s worth.

(Thank you for reading and please have a safe and Happy Fourth of July!)

7 Comments:

Blogger Debra She Who Seeks said...

Happy 4th of July -- hopefully better days are coming soon. I hadn't heard that Arte Johnson died yesterday -- RIP. I loved him on Laugh In.

July 4, 2019 at 10:10 AM  
Blogger Raybeard said...

Wishing y'all a Happy Day!
The big 'show' in D.C. this evening - merely another reason for Very Stable Genius to preen himself under the guise of being 'patriotic' - it's what dictators DO, right? - trying to show off how his weapon(s) will get Little Rocket Man and Pres. Putrid down on their knees before him - Hah!
I hope that the forecast rain, thunder and lightening (if still on the cards) will pour cold water over the whole vanity display.

Btw: The musical '1776'was playing on Broadway at the time of my one and only visit to NY, 50 years ago this year. Didn't get to see it as at that time I was too scared of being out alone, even in daytime, as (mentioned before) I'd had a most unpleasant experience on my very first leaving the hotel when, within minutes, I was surrounded by a gang of half a dozen or so youths menacing me for money, and had to give them all I had on me at the time - an experience which, you'll understand, coloured the rest of my holiday.
I've only just found that there was a film of that musical, which I've certainly never seen or even heard that there was one. Perhaps it's where your extract is from.

Arte Johnson (90, I've just found out) - never given him a second thought since 'Laugh In', the show which I always watched yet never could understand why the audience laughter was as hysterical as it was. (Surely canned?) -

July 4, 2019 at 10:37 AM  
Blogger Bob said...

Happy 4th, RTG and AM.
Next year will be better, because _____will either be gone, or on the way out.

RIP Arte, and thanks for the laughs!

July 4, 2019 at 10:46 AM  
Blogger Deedles said...

I love 1776! I own the director's cut in which the cut scenes and songs are restored. So much better than the original theatrical release.
Arte Johnson was a particular favorite of mine from Laugh-in, may he rest in peace. He was only 90. I'm at the age now where I watch old shows that I grew up with and just say he's dead she's dead etc...

July 4, 2019 at 12:40 PM  
Blogger Dave R said...

Have a Happy Fourth! Burgers and Wieners are on the menu... notice I did not say hot dogs. As for the addlepated Idiot Jerk, he and his red party will continue to move farther and farther away from mainstream reality until we vote them into oblivion.

July 4, 2019 at 5:23 PM  
Blogger Ur-spo said...

Indeed does anybody care?
More important is there anyone who cares who can make a difference?

July 5, 2019 at 4:57 PM  
Blogger todd gunther said...

Hi Debra. Yes, another wonderful memory from our past is gone.

Hi Raybeard. Yes, this excerpt is from that movie. You may want to rent/borrow/purchase the Restored Director's Cut on DVD, if you're able to play DVD's in your area. This has the scene "Cool, Cool Considerate Men" which the producer Jack Warner deleted prior to its initial release. This was done at the suggestion of his close friend who happened to be President of the US at the time, Richard Nixon. I guess Nixon thought this number made too much fun of conservatives.

We had a nice quiet 4th, Bob. Hope yours was good for you.

Thank you Deedles. My father took my brother and I to see it when it was first released. i was none the wiser about the deleted scenes until I played the soundtrack at home.

Thank you Dave R. Yes, they are drifting and no one seems to care.

Thank you, Spo. At the moment those that can do something still have their heads in the sand. They'll have to come out sooner or later.

July 5, 2019 at 7:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home