arteejee

A site of satirical musings, commentary and/or rhetorical criticism of the world at large.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Southeastern, Pennsylvania, United States

Sunday, April 28, 2019

Sunday Morning Post: (V.1, #14) - Thirty Years On


This will be a short one today, as there is a brunch to attend.  This month marks the 30th anniversary of when I started working in some semblance of the health care insurance industry. 
 
I was living with friends in Maryland and temping for National Automatic Sprinkler Industry Welfare Fund when there was an opening in their claims department.  At that time, the Fund processed medical claims for their unionized work force.  I believe in the years since I left in 1999 that part has been outsourced to Blue Cross.

Warrior Queen and I longed to return to the Philly area and we got word that Union Labor Life was starting a new office in King of Prussia.  Here I started out as a claims processor and moved on to quality assurance.  ULLICO later had some difficulties and they sold our operations to a company I won’t name, in the spirit of “If you can’t say anything nice...”

I have been at Health Advocate since 2011 and believe this was where I was always meant to be.  I had medical claims experience and always questioned why the insurance industry behaves the way it does.  Why does it cover so and so, but not such and such?   For years I felt like I was on a Don Quixotic quest to find common sense in the health insurance industry.
 
It took years of searching, but I finally arrived at the conclusion that there is no common sense to be found in the health insurance industry.   We’re all on our own.

Well, I’m glad I got that off my chest…

I insisted on celebrating the anniversary with a nice buffet brunch at The William Penn Inn, which is just up the street (a few miles give or take) from our house.

It is the most chi-chi place we go to for special occasions and this, I believe, is one of those occasions.   So…brunch, anyone? *

*Sorry, but we’ll have to do separate checks.

(Thank you for reading.  On to brunch!)

5 Comments:

Blogger Debra She Who Seeks said...

Congratulations on 30 years in your chosen profession! Enjoy brunch but don't overdo the mimosas -- remember, you've got work tomorrow!

April 28, 2019 at 10:02 AM  
Blogger Bob said...

Happy workiversary, and that's looks like a swanky, swell place for brunch!

April 28, 2019 at 3:06 PM  
Blogger Ur-spo said...

Indeed a hearty congratulations !

April 28, 2019 at 10:33 PM  
Anonymous Old Lurker said...

What does a health advocate do?

You are a braver human than I, to work in the health insurance industry. You deserve much more than brunch for lasting this long there.

April 28, 2019 at 11:06 PM  
Blogger todd gunther said...

Hi Debra, and thank you. Actually I avoided the Mimosas this trip. they would have been too sweet with the syrup I would have with my waffles.

Thank you, Bob. It is a very a nice place for celebrations.

Thank you, Spo.

Thank you, Old Lurker. Health advocates have many functions. My particular job is to assist people with claims disputes and educating them about the pitfalls of the health insurance industry.

May 1, 2019 at 6:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home