arteejee

A site of satirical musings, commentary and/or rhetorical criticism of the world at large.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Southeastern, Pennsylvania, United States

Sunday, February 16, 2020

Sunday Morning Post (V.2, #6): The Odd Week


Apologies for not posting last week, but I was otherwise detained with getting an oil change for my car. Besides, truth be told, I couldn’t come up with a worthy topic to save my life before Sunday noon (my self-imposed deadline) approached.

The week since then was both very sad and very good at this end.  The sad part: last Monday morning around 1:30a, Warrior Queen heard three “booms” in quick succession from the street in front of our house.  Three police cars, two ambulances and three fire trucks parked in front of our house as they cleaned up and investigated a one car crash across the street from our house.  WQ also heard the sound of a woman yelling loudly.  I was awakened and could see the accident from our second-floor window.  I could see a telephone pole snapped in half and the crushed remains of a vehicle just beyond the pole.  It did not look good.

I spoke to my next-door neighbor a few days later and he filled me in on the details. A car went out of control, ran over a neighbor’s mail box (first boom), snapped the telephone pole (second boom) and finally hit a large tree in another neighbor’s yard (third boom). The driver was killed and the driver’s girlfriend survived with injuries. It was her voice WQ heard trying to get to her boyfriend, although we think the police were able to talk her out of doing that.  All of the first responders did their job quickly, took the girlfriend away in an ambulance, towed the car off the neighbor’s lawn and were all gone within an hour.

In the days since then we have witnessed several groups of people stop by, park in our and our neighbor’s driveways and, at the peril of their own lives on our busy street, and pay their respects at the scene of the accident.   The groups built a highway memorial with flowers, cards and mylar balloons at the base of the tree.  We had a few rainy days this week which I would have thought would mar the memorial, but a full week later the makeshift shrine still seems to be in one piece. No one would even know what happened here (the telephone pole and mailbox were both replaced within a few days) if it were not for the memorial at the tree.

On a much brighter note was our lunch with Mistress Maddie yesterday in King of Prussia.   We all had a good filling lunch at one of the better Italian restaurants in the area, accompanied by at least one alcoholic beverage. Truth be told, two of us had more than one alcoholic beverage, but that was not enough to impair anyone’s senses.

Unfortunately, we committed a social media faux pas.  We forgot to take a photo suitable for blog posting while we ate.  Sorry everyone, but you’ll just have to take my word for it.  We had a fabulous time!

(Thank you for reading.  Thank you, Mistress, for the homemade challah bread.  It did make a good French toast.)

6 Comments:

Blogger Bob said...

I would never build a shrine on the spot where a friend or loved one died. it strikes me as morbid.

And any meal with Maddie is cock-a-tales .... plural!

February 16, 2020 at 11:13 AM  
Blogger Debra She Who Seeks said...

Holy moly, what a terrible accident! How fast do you have to be going to snap a telephone pole? At least the girlfriend survived, which sounds like a bit of a miracle.

Glad you had a good meetup with Mistress Maddie! It always sounds like so much fun.

February 16, 2020 at 12:02 PM  
Blogger Mistress Maddie said...

"I like to have a martini/Two at the very most. After three I'm under the table/After four, I'm under my host."

A lovely time indeed.

February 16, 2020 at 3:40 PM  
Blogger Dave R said...

Terrible thing, the accident. I've never been in one, but have seen one happen. What a shame the tangible things were replaced, while that intangible consciousness was not.

February 16, 2020 at 5:43 PM  
Blogger Ur-spo said...

I missed your last week's not posting; I was glad to read one this week.

February 16, 2020 at 11:13 PM  
Blogger todd gunther said...

I understand what you are saying ,Bob,but I guess it helps some people with closure.

It's always nice to dine (and drink) with Maddie.

Thank you,Maddie. We must do this again soon.

True, Dave R.

Thank you, Spo. Overall you had the more interesting week.

February 17, 2020 at 11:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home