arteejee

A site of satirical musings, commentary and/or rhetorical criticism of the world at large.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Southeastern, Pennsylvania, United States

Sunday, December 27, 2020

Sunday Morning Post (V.2, #51) - Did We or Didn’t We have 52 Sundays This Year?

As you may have noticed, I took to a new subtitle for this blog a few years back.  Years ago, I would write my entries during my lunch periods at work and then e-mail them home for final publication.  In the beginning I was writing 2-3 entries every week.  It made me feel good that I could be this productive at anything at that time of my life.  This went on for about 4 years. 

I got laid off from that job 10 years ago.  I was forced to write at home whenever I could find the time.  My production suffered since I could seldom find a good time to put my thoughts to a Word document.  There were other factors also involved.

I hit a writer’s block one year and I had to admit that the sudden lack of inspiration got the better of me.  This went on for several months.  I grew depressed because I could not think of an idea to write about.  I had a lot going on that year: my block came at about the same time as my mother was having her final illness.  I can’t say for sure if her situation upset me so much that it affected my writing, but if that was the case, then it was all in my subconscious. 

I finally settled on a specific time each week, Sunday morning, to work my blog.  It has proven to be the perfect time for blog writing for me.  I am not rushed to put anything on paper and then get ready for work on a Sunday.  I decided to rename my blog Sunday Morning Post, and began to enumerate the entries much like a magazine publisher would track their editions.

This rather large explanation is circling back to the title at the top of today’s entry.  It states 51, not 52.  This is the last Sunday of the year and I don’t believe I missed any weeks.  Aren’t we supposed to have 52 Sundays to coincide with the other weeks of the year?

Apparently, the answer is “no.”   I just checked the calendar and it only has 50 Sundays for 2020.  Well, no wonder 2020 proved to be such a kidney stone of a year.  It didn’t have all of the Sundays that other years might have.

Okay, so I didn’t miss any Sundays.  It turns out that I have another problem: I can no longer count up to 52!  Whew!  That’s a relief.

Anyway, we should take this opportunity to bid a fond farewell to 2020.

“Get the hell out of here, 2020!  You proved to be miserable to the entire world.  I thought 1968 was the worst with all of its political and cultural upheavals, but you certainly outdid 1968!”

Begone!  Amscray!  Don’t the calendar kick you in the ass on the way out!”

Now I feel better.

(Thank you for reading.  Here’s hoping that 2021 will be good for all of us, because we deserve it, damn it!)

10 Comments:

Blogger Bob said...

I join you in wishing 2020 a speedy departure.

Here's to a brighter 2021.

December 27, 2020 at 11:19 AM  
Blogger Debra She Who Seeks said...

Yeah, let's hope 2021 is much better!

"Don't let the calendar kick you in the ass on the way out!" Nice touch!

December 27, 2020 at 11:59 AM  
Blogger Ur-spo said...

may you feel and be much better in 2021 my friend.

December 27, 2020 at 6:07 PM  
Blogger todd gunther said...

Thank you, Bob. It can only get better (knock on wood).

Thank you Debra. Yes, let's hope for the best.

Thank yo Spo. Your Christmas Day phone call was the highlight of our day.

December 27, 2020 at 6:16 PM  
Anonymous Old Lurker said...

I don't know, man. 2020 had the coronavirus and the BLM protests, but 1968 had two major assassinations and the Tet offensive. The biggest difference was that in 1968 Nixon won.

December 27, 2020 at 8:22 PM  
Blogger Mistress Maddie said...

I cant imagine why you didn't enjoy 2020?????????

But here's to a New Year!!!!

December 27, 2020 at 11:30 PM  
Blogger Raybeard said...

2020 has surely been the one year in our lifetimes we'll most wish to forget - but we won't 'cos we can't. Good riddance - and bolt the door shut behind you!

December 28, 2020 at 6:48 AM  
Blogger Dave R said...

I didn't know that, and I thought it had to do with the freaking moron in the White House.

December 28, 2020 at 3:44 PM  
Blogger todd gunther said...

Hi Old Lurker. I have no memory of the Tet offensive, but I do remember the assassinations. Somehow we were meant to live under Nixon, but I like to think that we know better now.

Thank you, Maddie. There were just too many train wrecks this year to avoid looking at. Joe Biden winning is the one bright spot from this year.

Thank you Raybeard for the sound advice.

Hi Dave R. Hey, we can blame this on the Trumpter too!

December 29, 2020 at 7:43 AM  
Blogger Fearsome Beard said...

Happy New Year Todd! There is light at the end of this tunnel, May 2021 help us get there.

January 1, 2021 at 8:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home