arteejee

A site of satirical musings, commentary and/or rhetorical criticism of the world at large.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Southeastern, Pennsylvania, United States

Sunday, February 07, 2021

Sunday Morning Post (V.3 #6) – The Pre-Rinse Paradox

Warrior Queen set off an interesting debate in one of her posts this past week regarding where she puts her dirty dishes.  She set it in the guise of something you don’t know about her.  In the end, she confessed and now the whole world knows: she does not put her dirty Fiesta plates, bowls, cups and silverware directly into anything resembling a modern dishwasher. 

The dirty dishes are placed rather helter skelter into the kitchen sink and from there…oh, who the hell knows.  Eventually the plates, etc. pile up higher than the sink itself, making use of the faucet to fill any container, say a cup, totally impossible.  At some point, it’s up to the other being with opposable thumbs living in the house to arrange the dishes neatly in the dishwasher in such a way to guarantee the most efficient cleaning.  In other words, moi.

Most of the dishes can be placed in one of three racks of our dishwasher.  Many times, there are dishes that still have dried food residue, or crud, on the surface. These dishes are given a quick rinse under a running spigot before they are placed into the automatic dishwasher.  With all due respect to those bloggers who feel that this rinsing action makes the subsequent washing unnecessary, I must come out as an advocate of a manual pre-rinse.

Any food stuff allowed to stay on the plate surface when it is placed into the dishwasher raises the possibility that the crud will not magically wash away and down the dishwasher drain.  Many times, given the heat of the water inside the machine, the crud becomes baked onto the plate surface.  Now you have a plate which has theoretically been cleaned, but it comes out with a very hard wart on its surface.  Sometimes the baked crud is harder than the plate itself.  At this point one can rinse the plate again in the sink and, perhaps by using a steel wool pad or a butter knife, scrape the wart off the plate. 

At this point, you have two choices:  put the plate away in the cupboard because you believe it’s as clean as it ever will be, or put it back into the dishwasher for another cleansing.  My theory is that the pre-rinse will get the stuff that could accumulate and block the pipes under the appliance, and that the dishwashing action itself sterilizes the plate for its next use.  A sterile dish is a very good thing in these times when the COVID-19 pandemic has made germophobes of all of us.

The pre-rinse is particularly useful when you have members in the household who do not finish everything on their dishes and the remaining food is allowed to dry before it is gathered up to be consigned to the sink.  Most households have human offspring which do this.  We have cats who seldom finish everything in their bowls.  I find it necessary to run these bowls under the spigot so that the leftover food falls into the garbage disposal where it meets its ignominious fate.

Also keep in mind that pre-rinsing does not guarantee that a plate will be clean enough to use for the next meal.  Warrior Queen has often told me about one of her aunts who would allow her dogs to lick the plates clean.  The plates were then not hand washed in the sink or even placed in a dishwasher.  The dishes were put away in the cupboard directly from the canine tongue action.

I will leave you with that image in your mind.  Yummy!

(Thank you for reading. Thus ended the lesson.)

16 Comments:

Blogger Ur-spo said...

What a system!
If it works though who can comment?

February 7, 2021 at 11:57 AM  
Blogger Mistress Maddie said...

"The plates were then not hand washed in the sink or even placed in a dishwasher. The dishes were put away in the cupboard directly from the canine tongue action."

WHHHHATTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OMG!!!!

When done eating, or cooking, if food remains, it gets scrapped into the garage can, then rinsed off, then place in the dishwasher. I can't stand a sink full of dishes. I only do silverware, glasses and dishes, smaller bakeware in the washer. Pots and pans I wash by hand as well as larger bakeware. Since it's just me, It gets run once a week.

I am still in shock as per that post I don't know she lived in NJ. And that tidbit about her aunt!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh. my salts...where or my smelling salts......

February 7, 2021 at 2:39 PM  
Blogger anne marie in philly said...

the aunt in question was my father's brother's wife. she was a hillbilly from kentucky. a real MENSA member - NOT!

whenever we visited their house, we were warned to not eat anything served to us because you just never knew when the dishes were last properly cleaned.

February 7, 2021 at 2:41 PM  
Blogger Mistress Maddie said...

Gurl.....I think I know see WHY you run as quick as you could to get out of your family, Bwahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

February 7, 2021 at 2:43 PM  
Blogger anne marie in philly said...

@maddie - I lived in NJ from 77 to 79; from there I went to VA until 99, when we moved back to PA.

February 7, 2021 at 2:43 PM  
Blogger Mistress Maddie said...

Maybe you did tell me.

I mean the lunches' were four hour, gin fueled lunches after all. Never mind us Todd as we blog jack you! Oh dear...that didn't sound good....

February 7, 2021 at 2:47 PM  
Blogger Bob said...

I, too, am a fan of a manual pre-rinse.
Carlos, however, once told me that the dishwasher had a garbage disposal in it so you could put plates with food straight inside.
I fainted.

February 7, 2021 at 3:29 PM  
Blogger Dave R said...

While I occasionally let the sink fill, I always pre-rinse everything. My dogs rarely get people food, so my dishes are never pre-tongued before going into the dishwasher. Oh, and like clothing, I go through many dishes in one week, so even as the sole human resident, my dishwasher gets run an average of 5 times a week.

February 7, 2021 at 4:52 PM  
Blogger Debra She Who Seeks said...

Oh, I am a BIG believer in the manual pre-rinse and practice it religiously. I rinse and/or soak my dishes in soapy water right away -- NOTHING hardens on my dishes before they go into the dishwasher. I do this because I only run the dishwasher when it is full, which can take 2 or 3 days to reach. If you do not pre-rinse and put cruddy dirty dishes to wait in the dishwasher, not only will they harden BUT they'll start to smell also, which I cannot abide.

February 7, 2021 at 6:36 PM  
Blogger uptonking said...

I love washing dishes in the sink. The hot water on my wrists calm me. I love doing dishes. And if I had Fiesta ware? No way would I put it in a dishwasher. So... rock on, Goddess DJ Anne Marie. You know... maybe the dog's tongue... well... know what? It your house, honey... you do as you please. Kizzes.

February 7, 2021 at 9:50 PM  
Blogger todd gunther said...

Yes, Spo. it works for me.

Thank you Maddie for the comments. Go ahead and blog jack. You two have fun. I'll be over her in the corner.

Our pipes and appliances have to contend with hard water let alone food remains on the plate, Bob. I believe it is more merciful to dispose of any leftovers before I even think about putting the plate into the washer.

Yes, Dave R., let's avoid pre-tonguing anything.

You raise a very good point, Debra.

Thank you Uptonking. The only damage our Fiesta ware has suffered over the years has been when I get clumsy and drop one.

February 8, 2021 at 7:11 AM  
Blogger anne marie in philly said...

@uptonking - the dogs were at my aunt's house. I have 3 cats. and fiestaware is dishwasher/microwave safe.

February 8, 2021 at 10:14 AM  
Blogger Travel said...

My sister lets her dog do the pre-rinse, then runs things in the dishwasher, I find it gross.

February 8, 2021 at 1:37 PM  
Anonymous Sassybear said...

We are a firm pre-rinse household. Dishes are rinsed or soaked in the sink before placed in the dishwasher. I cannot stand dishes sitting in the sink or on counters or tables once we are done eating. (Flashback to my youth when my male biological reason for being would litter the house with cigarette butt tainted dirty dishes after my Mom would spend all day cleaning - grrr.) However, I will often wash dishes by hand, especially after baking, when I just want everything clean and tidy right away, and do not want a machine full of dishes to put away, later on.

February 14, 2021 at 10:11 AM  
Blogger todd gunther said...

Hello Travel. Well at least they were sterilized.

A good pre-rinsing is a good extra step Sassybear.

February 14, 2021 at 2:45 PM  
Blogger ANKIT DALAL said...

I guys there is a new website here I have checked it out you guys can also check this Tamilrockers hgffd

March 21, 2021 at 8:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home