arteejee

A site of satirical musings, commentary and/or rhetorical criticism of the world at large.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Southeastern, Pennsylvania, United States

Saturday, April 01, 2006

Pity for the Underdog

Maybe I’m just not my cranky self today, but I feel I’ve been a bit too hard on one person in particular during my recent blog entries. I feel ashamed that I haven’t looked hard enough at his side, and try to understand his point of view as President of the United States. Yes, I’m talking about George W. Bush, the same man who has gallantly led this country’s fight on the war against terrorism, who has adopted right-minded attitudes towards global warming and “intelligent design”, and has seen fit to cut the taxes of those most in need. His reward for all these good deeds has been low poll numbers, rebellion from some members of his own party, and general apathy from the Republican electorate towards this year’s mid-term Congressional elections.

I feel sorry for George W. Bush. I have a variety of reasons for my change of heart. First, I’ve always rooted for the underdog (which would explain my lifelong support of the Phillies), and, let’s face it, you can’t find anyone more underdog right now than the President. Then there is my ability to see more than one side of any issue, despite my deeply held beliefs. After all, the other fellow brings his own deeply held ideals to the table, with the conviction that his ideals are right.

In the classic rock anthem “For What It’s Worth”, Stephen Stills wrote ‘Nobody’s right if everybody’s wrong’. To me this has meant that the playing field is level for all people. Everyone has a valid idea on an issue, but no idea is 100% correct for every body. That’s where the art of compromise is not only handy, but should be required.

It is in this spirit of compromise that I feel I must soften my criticisms of George W. Bush. After all, he appears to be a likable fellow who has chosen to do a very tough job. I know many people who know me will think that I have lost my mind, or that Cal Thomas finally got to me, but neither one of these events has happened. I know my editor, my dear wife Anne Marie, may protest this posting, but I feel it’s the right thing to do today. For those of you reading this and who may doubt my sincerity, I can only remind you what today is, and leave you to ponder these thoughts.

APRIL FOOL!

(P.S. Happy birthday to our sister-in-law, Marlene!)

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yikes! As I started to read this entry believing that my brother-in-law's political heart had changed, I swear I saw a reflection of Rod Serling on my computer screen...

Thanks for a wonderful birthday!

April 2, 2006 at 7:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home