arteejee

A site of satirical musings, commentary and/or rhetorical criticism of the world at large.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Southeastern, Pennsylvania, United States

Monday, December 11, 2006

“It’s the End of the World as We Know It”, and I Feel Great!

A very awkward situation has popped up for the Bush administration in the last few days. Mary Cheney, daughter of the vice president, announced that she and her partner are expecting a baby. This would ordinarily be welcome, joyful news especially now in the middle of the Christmas holiday season, but not all Christians are happy for them. The news is awkward for them and for myself.

The Christian conservatives have long pressured the Bush administration for passage of a Constitutional amendment defining marriage as a union of one man and one woman. Same sex marriages would be illegal by inference of the amendment’s language. The Bush administration couldn’t deliver on this amendment, and the religious conservatives showed their displeasure by allowing the Republicans to lose control of Congress. Now, a child of one of the administration’s top leaders is going to dare raise a child in a gay relationship.

One leader, Janice Crouse of the Concerned Women for America, has called the pregnancy “unconscionable”. Heavens!!! The Christian conservatives are treating this news like it’s the end of civilization as we know it. I’m not surprised by this rhetoric, but I still find it incredible.

Excuse me, but this is still the Christmas season, right?

I was led to believe that all Christians felt that any pregnancy was a child, not a choice. Still, this pregnancy is wrong in their eyes. What would you propose that the vice president do, Miss/Ms/Mrs. Crouse? Do you want him to go to his daughter and say, “Look, I know a good doctor across the border that can take care of your little ‘problem’ for you.”? I doubt that this scenario will play out like this.

No, it appears that Mary and her partner Heather Poe are committed in a loving relationship. It also appears that the prospective grandparents are looking forward to this new arrival. This child will, by all appearances, be raised in a loving environment.

So what’s your problem, Christian conservatives?

I’m thrilled at this news. I’m delighted that Mary Cheney is expecting. I’m happy for the grandparents and their commitment of support for their daughter. I’m ecstatic that this whole situation is making the Bush administration squirm!

This is also awkward for me because in this case I have to AGREE with Dick Cheney on this issue. I don’t care about everything else he has done to this country — the Iraq mess is clearly his baby, although Rumsfeld was the one to fall on the sword — but in this case I have to admit that he is doing the right thing. I doubt that this will ever happen again in this blog, so we should probably savor this moment — or retch in disgust depending on your point of view - while we can.

As for the Bush administration and the Christian conservatives, they should probably amend their thinking before they try to change our Constitution. In this case, one family situated near the top of the executive branch know more about loving relationships than many other alleged Christians know. The Cheneys don’t just talk about family values; they are living proof of it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home