arteejee

A site of satirical musings, commentary and/or rhetorical criticism of the world at large.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Southeastern, Pennsylvania, United States

Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Bush Fatigue

Several years ago, I recommended a documentary on public television called “Silverlake Life: The View From Here” to a gay co-worker at my old job. It is, what I believe to be, a groundbreaking documentary on two gay men in a committed relationship living with – and dying from – AIDS. I was a bit surprised that Michael seemed ambivalent about seeing the movie. I didn’t understand his attitude until I remembered that he had, like the men in the movie, dealt with his own partner's struggle with the disease. Michael didn’t need to see the film; he had already lived it.

I bring up this memory because it helps to explain my reaction to the announcement that Oliver Stone is planning to make a film about the life and career of George W. Bush. He wants to examine the behind the scenes of the Bush administration - a la his earlier treatment of Richard M. Nixon – and probe why Bush acts the way he does. Stone is hoping to have the film ready for release by Election Day or by the next inauguration.

I know already that I won’t be rushing out to the theater to see this film. At this point, the nightmare that the Bush Administration has become is still ongoing. It’s too soon for a post-mortem; the body isn’t even cold yet!

Now perhaps if Stone presented it as a musical, then maybe he’ll sell some tickets. A synopsis of “Bush: The Musical” would probably go something like this.

Let’s imagine that the drama starts on Bush’s first inauguration day. The disputed vote in Florida and the Supreme Court interference regarding the election is all behind him. Our main character contemplates his role as God’s gift to global democracy as he prepares to take the oath of office (“I Am the Chosen One”). Fast forward to eight months later and the 9/11 attacks by Osama Bin Laden gives the listless administration a purpose for its existence (“God Please Smite Osama Bin Laden”).

Then, Dick Cheney, Karl Rove, and Paul Wolfowitz propose invading Iraq because, as they reason with intelligence reports held together by paste and string, that Saddam Hussein is connected to the attacks (“God Please Smite Saddam Hussein”). The plan is sent to Congress, who appear skeptical (“There You Go Again, George”). The debate over an invasion of Iraq spills over into the American public, who take up opposing sides against and for the war in a show stopping medley (“Liberal Left Boogie/Fox News Tango”). Finally, the invasion happens and Act One closes with the Chief Executive himself reasserting his authority (“Iraq – Schmaraq”).

Act Two begins just as Bush’s second term hits a bump in the road. None of his domestic programs is enacted, the pre-Iraq war intelligence is proven to be false, and the destruction of New Orleans haunts him (“I Just Heard a Wind Called Katrina”). Things look hopeless, but the President remains defiant (“My Numbers Are Low, But I Don’t Care”), even as the mid-term elections give the majority rule to the opposing party (“God Please Smite The Democrats"). As members of his loyal staff leave his side, the President plots one final stand (“Iran – Schmaran/Reprise: I Am the Chosen One”).

Well, take it or leave it. Actually, the musical idea didn’t help my morale: I’m as sick and tired of the Bush Administration as ever before. I know he has less than a year to go, but my God I shudder to think what he’ll try to do in the time he has left.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home