arteejee

A site of satirical musings, commentary and/or rhetorical criticism of the world at large.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Southeastern, Pennsylvania, United States

Thursday, November 27, 2008

Thanksgiving 2008

I have been looking forward to today for quite some time. More precisely, I have been looking forward to this day since my recovery from heart surgery began in early October. Today I can say with 100% certainty that I am grateful to be alive!

I apologize if this sounds like some cornpone cliché that you might find in a Hallmark card, but my sentiments are sincere this year. I don’t know how close I came to having a life-changing heart attack, but today I know I am lucky to be alive in this day of modern medical advancements. The medical treatment I received during the course of my recovery has given me a renewed outlook on life. Today, I will celebrate this realization with those that I care for and that have cared for me the most during my life.

I am grateful for the wonderful blessings of turkey and stuffing we will receive at our dining table today, even though I know not everyone at that table will share my appetite for the traditional dishes. I can hear the cries of “What’s wrong with having lasagna for Thanksgiving!" now. To this I will answer that there is nothing wrong with lasagna. However, I will point out that frozen lasagna dinners were not a species indigenous to the Bay Colony when the Pilgrims broke bread with the Native Americans in 1621. Otherwise, we would surely be having pasta with our pumpkin pie.

I will be joined at dinner by my mother, my brother and his family, and of course, my wonderful wife, Anne Marie. I am grateful that they share their lives with mine. I know I’ll never be able to repay all of them for their support, help and guidance.

I am also grateful to be living in this country at this point in our nation’s history. We are really, truly at a major cross road in America. Our first African-American president will be inaugurated in a matter of weeks, and he is showing every sign of forming a bipartisan government. Whether or not these appointments will be effective in solving the crises facing our country remains to be seen. For now, we can be thankful that we live in a country where such dreams and opportunities are possible, and can be achieved by any one of its citizens.

Finally, I am thankful for all of you reading this blog. Thank you for your attention and your occasional comments. I appreciate knowing that there are some people in the world who not only tolerate my skewed musings on the world, but also agree with them sometimes. I hope this day of thanksgiving rewards you with many blessings today and throughout the year.

HAPPY THANKSGIVING TO EVERYONE!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home