arteejee

A site of satirical musings, commentary and/or rhetorical criticism of the world at large.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Southeastern, Pennsylvania, United States

Sunday, March 22, 2020

Sunday Morning Post (V.2, #11): OMG


This past week was a wild ride, wasn’t it?


I will not even mention the stock market gyrations. I realize that use of the word gyrations is an understatement.


Our governor closed everything in Pennsylvania effective Friday.  Grocery stores, gas stations, and pharmacies are among the few places that can stay open.  Any restaurants that can operate doing only take-out business have remained open, but many have closed.  I fear that a number of them will not re-open once the panic dies down and the rate of viral infection is reduced.


I am now working at home until further notice.  My company had been preparing us to work from home for a week.  Most of my colleagues had already been at home all week.  Needless to say, our physical work place felt like a ghost town since last Monday.


Warrior Queen’s business has also effectively been shut down.  They have figured out a way to do the things they need to do with a rotating schedule of one person in the office/day.  I guess this was a compromise as it will keep contact between employees, and hence the possibility of the virus spreading, to a minimum.


We had planned to do our weekly grocery trip this morning, but WQ decided to postpone her shopping for later in the week since she’ll need something to do to pass the time. I went this morning with my half of the shopping list. The store was more crowded than usual for a Sunday morning, but it wasn’t the frenzy from a week ago.  The store has recovered somewhat from the near sacking of last week.  The bread shelves were stocked again, but the meat department is still vastly empty. 


My main item was cat food.  Unfortunately, these shelves are still largely empty.  I came looking for certain flavors which our oldest cat (Nyla) likes, but I was disappointed again.  As an added complication the queen cat of the house has chosen this time of her life to act all snobbish about what is placed in front of her. I got what I could and hope that WQ will have better luck later this week.


We have also resolved to do as much as we can for local businesses as we can in the meantime.  Our favorite local pizzeria is still operating for take-out and we ordered a delivery from them yesterday.  We’ll get more than a few meals out of the food we ordered.  So, if nothing else we shall use this as our rallying cry: Support your local pizzeria!


Like everyone else, I am hoping that all of this — the closures, the shortages, the quarantines, the financial hardships, and the pandemic — are all short lived.  Over in two weeks?  Doubtful, but we’ll persevere in any case.


(Thank you for reading.  Be safe, be healthy.)

11 Comments:

Blogger Bob said...

We're shut down here, too, but have frequented a couple of our favorite spots for take-out. Luckily, we have a Tractor Supply nearby and they say they have plenty of the cat and dog food we use, because if those four furry faces don't get their meals, no one knows what they'll be chewing on next.

March 22, 2020 at 1:45 PM  
Blogger Mistress Maddie said...

Much the same here tootes. Pizza....awwwwww. My pizzeria around the corner was open, but now has a very limited menu as they are not able to get the goods quick enough, and were forced to close Friday temporary till provisions arrive. So no pizza for me.

No, I watched a Benny Hill marathon yesterday, with some G & T's, and a Indian food delivery. That certainly had me in stiches.

Took one walk in New Hope last week, which this time of year, is starting to get mobbed. A virtual ghost town. I saw two people. I saw more duck and geese then humans, not always a bad thing. This is certain to kill the town as many rely on the 8 month business spree of tourism to cover the 4 months quiet winter time months.

Are we in a SyFy movie and weren't told?

Peace to you both friends

March 22, 2020 at 2:12 PM  
Blogger Debra She Who Seeks said...

Yes, now is not a good time for cats (or anyone else) to get picky, is it? Enjoy working from home!

March 22, 2020 at 2:16 PM  
Blogger Dave R said...

Crap, you should have been at Home Depot yesterday, there were about 8000 people in the store, and another 5 or 6 thousand today. And they were all purchasing essentials like mulch, and paint, and doorknobs, and furnace filters. I went to my neighborhood Giant yesterday and the meat, bread, cat and dog food departments were depleted. I suspect they will start filling the shelves up again this week. Stay healthy.

March 22, 2020 at 4:42 PM  
Blogger Jimmy said...

We order our cat's food from Chewy.com. Under normal circumstances it arrives in two to three days. But now, they told me six to eight days.

I dislike shopping intensely.

March 22, 2020 at 4:59 PM  
Blogger Ur-spo said...

kill two birds with one stone: if you eat the cat then you would not need cat food.

March 22, 2020 at 7:33 PM  
Blogger Mistress Maddie said...

Well,, shit.

Why didn't I think to get any door knobs?

March 22, 2020 at 10:50 PM  
Blogger Raybeard said...

I'm waiting for people to finally realise that there's absolutely no NEED to be hoarding food, being assured time and time again that there's enough food for all, and any prospect of food shortages is unrealistic as well as being the least of our problems - yet every time I go to the shops, stretches of empty shelves all over.
I haven't found a scarcity of cat food here, which is just as well, as seeing my furry foursome going hungry would affect me more than having to go without myself.

Btw: I trust you'll not go anywhere near contemplating Dr Spo's radical (and deplorable) solution (above) to the problem. If I didn't know him better.......

We're all nervous about it being apparent soon that our own national lockdown hasn't gone nearly as far as it needs to go to avoid a catastrophic level of fatalities - something which I fear you'll yourself know all about. Trust you can all keep safe and well isolated till this has all blown over, though how long this will be, who knows? I'm concerned for, frankly, the sanity of those who were already mentally fragile. What times, eh?
Best wishes to all.

March 23, 2020 at 3:53 AM  
Blogger todd gunther said...

Yes,Bob, we must keep our furry friends well fed lest their primal instincts kick in.

Thank you, Mistress. We have entered the Twilight Zone.

Hello Debra. We may to have Nyla go out and buy her own food if she keeps this up. This morning she had trout and nearly finished it within a few minutes.

Hi Dave R. I worked in retail decades ago. I feel your pain.

Thank you Jimmy. I'm sure everyone on the Internet is getting backed up with orders.

Okay, Spo. Which one on the BoD made that suggestion?

March 23, 2020 at 8:10 AM  
Blogger todd gunther said...

Hi Raybeard. The hoarders have been a pain in the butt here too. I didn't take Spo's suggestion seriously. I chalked it up to Nordic/German dark humor.

March 23, 2020 at 8:15 AM  
Blogger Travel said...

I survived week two of exile, can't wait to get back to the office.

March 28, 2020 at 4:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home