arteejee

A site of satirical musings, commentary and/or rhetorical criticism of the world at large.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Southeastern, Pennsylvania, United States

Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Cajun


I had a bad feeling yesterday about someone I knew. I initially got the feeling without any clue as to what had happened sometime in the afternoon. I went to the blog, On Transmigration, and read the last post of one of our blogger friends who had been sick for the past two years. Nothing seemed amiss, other than his meditations on the end of his own life and the fact that this entry was over a week old. Later that evening, my worst intuition was confirmed when we read that our blogging buddy Wayne had passed away very early in the day.

I did not know Wayne that well - he preferred to be known as Cajun in the blogosphere - but I considered him to be a wonderful acquaintance. Warrior Queen and I have followed his commentary about his adventures at his job, or on the world in general. I only met him once as he strolled into the lobby of The Inn at Canal Square on the night of our Bloggerpalooza dinner. Just seeing him smile and the display of self confidence reminded everyone that we were in the presence of a genuinely warm and caring human being with a deep passion for life.

I am saddened that we will not be able to read his blog anymore, or that we will not be able to sit down with him and listen to his stories. Stories like the time he was hosting at Dos Locos and a family was treating Grandma to dinner with alcohol. Trouble was grandma was also on pain pills and the cumulative effect of the pills and the margaritas led to grandma taking a nose dive into her entrée. Obviously, not a happy situation for any restaurant staffer at the time it happened, but a story worth retelling later after all, presumably, ended well.

I’ll remember Wayne’s laughter and, damn, he looked good in a custom made Spo Hawaiian shirt.

In any event, I can’t help but smile at Cajun’s timing. He left this material world on Fat Tuesday. I can only hope his spirit made its way back to his hometown of New Orleans. Wayne, if you’re able to read this, I hope you had a ball at Mardi Gras!

Rest in Peace, Cajun.

(Thank you for reading.)

6 Comments:

Blogger Ur-spo said...

A lovely tribute.

February 18, 2015 at 10:25 PM  
Anonymous Roger said...

Some people come into our lives and quickly go. They awaken us to a new understanding with the passing whisper of their wisdom. They stay in our lives for awhile and leave footprints on our hearts and we are never ever the same.

I looked forward to Wayne's comments. Once he had my email he would email directly correcting grammar and other errors on a post or picture. Wayne fought the good fight, he finished the course, he kept the faith.

February 18, 2015 at 11:21 PM  
Blogger Raybeard said...

Your fondness for this lovely man shines through, RTG. All my sympathies are with you, with Anne Marie, and all those who were fortunate enough to have known Wayne personally. Already greatly missed.

February 19, 2015 at 2:30 AM  
Blogger todd gunther said...

Thank you, Spo! Your tribute was also very eloquent.
Thank you Roger for those kind thoughts.
Thank you Raybeard for your condolences.

February 21, 2015 at 7:50 AM  
Blogger Fearsome Beard said...

I'm late to your entry as I don't stop by here often enough. I too will miss him and I am happy to see another note the day that Cajun left us. Thanks for posting your memories for us.

March 8, 2015 at 9:47 AM  
Blogger Amanda said...

Very sad about Cajun!

March 21, 2015 at 5:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home