arteejee

A site of satirical musings, commentary and/or rhetorical criticism of the world at large.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Southeastern, Pennsylvania, United States

Saturday, January 13, 2018

RIP Veteran Cosmic Rocker



The world lost a great artist this week even as we wondered if our world leaders (okay, one in particular) had lost his mind.  Ray Thomas long time flautist with the Moody Blues died suddenly just as his band was looking forward to their induction into the (American) Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.  His obituaries noted his one-of-a-kind solo on the early Moody hit and FM radio staple Nights in White Satin.   The articles would also note his composing contributions: Legend of A Mind and A Veteran Cosmic Rocker.

So, to that end we will pay tribute to his solo and his singing contributions to the Moody Blues.

The second song is the woefully overlooked Thomas composition, For My Lady.  I’ll never forget the first time I heard it.  I was in the car driving the daughter of a friend to the store.  The local radio station had strictly Top 40 programming.  In other words, you would never hear the song if the released single version didn’t crack the charts higher than #41.  Inexplicably the deejay on duty that afternoon played this album cut from the compilation album, This Is the Moody Blues.

My friend’s daughter and I were both immediately smitten with the song.  Had she been a few years older (14 and jailbait at the time) I would have asked her out.  Then there was the fact that I was hopelessly in love (and everyone including the friend’s daughter knew this) with her neighbor.  The timing was all wrong, even as the radio waves beckoned to some deeper, darker emotions.

Ah well!  Perhaps fate will be kind and I will meet the friend’s neighbor again before my life ends.  She will most likely be much heavier than when I last saw her decades ago and she will most likely have a few grandchildren in tow.

Or as the Moody Blues might have asked, Isn’t Life Strange?

Rest in Peace, Mr. Thomas.


 

(Thank you for reading.  “A crowd of fools got him high/He’s afraid he’s gonna die/He’s the apple of their eye…”  From A Veteran Cosmic Rocker)

4 Comments:

Blogger Dave R said...

I saw them in San Diego during their Every Good Boy Deserves Favor tour and some how managed to lose one of my shoes....

January 13, 2018 at 8:04 PM  
Blogger Raybeard said...

Although well familiar with the group (who was NOT?), when I heard of this death on the news the chap's name didn't ring any bells, possibly to my shame.
I also didn't know 'For My Lady' - and now, just on the one hearing, I can appreciate how it could have burrowed itself straight to your (or anyone's) heart.
Thanks.

January 14, 2018 at 7:37 AM  
Anonymous Old Lurker said...

I miss rock flute. When is that going to come back in style?

January 14, 2018 at 3:03 PM  
Blogger todd gunther said...

I've seen them several times, most recently in Atlantic City. I'm sure there's an interesting story about the missing shoe. Thank you, Dave R.

Thank you Raybeard."For My Lady" was originally on their Seventh Sojurn album, when they finally admitted to their fans that they did not have all the answers (I'm Just A Singer in A Rock and Roll Band) despite the years of deep, some would say mystical, lyrics.

Thank you Old Lurker. The flute does add a touch of class. Is Jethro Tull still around?

January 15, 2018 at 6:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home