arteejee

A site of satirical musings, commentary and/or rhetorical criticism of the world at large.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Southeastern, Pennsylvania, United States

Sunday, December 24, 2017

Happy Christmas, Everyone!



I promised something a bit more in keeping with the merry vibe of the holiday season in yesterday’s entry.  I hope this entry will not turn out to be as cranky as yesterday.

In recent years, we have been confronted, whether we wanted to or not, with the choice of saying “Merry Christmas” or “Happy Holidays”.  The Fox News pearl clutchers have insisted that they have been under siege because they were afraid of not being perceived as PC if they said the traditional “Merry Christmas”.  The cultural conflict which ensued was a figment of their xenophobic imaginations and the ratings-hungry producers at Fox News.  

Saying “Merry Christmas” never went out of fashion, Mr. President.  What we as Christians need to work on is the arrogant (read un-Christlike) attitude that our holiday and traditions are more important than other cultures.  This is the argument Christians should have embraced, rather than take offense.

Well, so much for a kinder, gentler, non-cranky blog post entry.

I myself have opted to compromise with the greeting “Happy Christmas”.  This compromise will either please or piss off everyone on both sides of the cultural war debate.   I am content with either outcome.

So, I will wish all merry holidays (see what I did there) by posting a video of my favorite holiday song.  I have to hear it at least once a day during the season else I feel like I’ve missed out on a wonderful experience.   There are a number of video versions on the web, but I found one with at least some shots of young children singing along as they do on the recording.  

So Happy Christmas from me, John, Yoko and the Harlem Community Choir:


Thank you for reading.  (Still, bah humbug to you, Mr. President!)

6 Comments:

Blogger Bob said...

Happy Christmas, RTG!

December 24, 2017 at 10:42 AM  
Blogger Raybeard said...

Have a lovely one, RTG - and particularly memorable for all the right reasons.

December 24, 2017 at 11:11 AM  
Blogger Fearsome Beard said...

Merry Christmas!

December 25, 2017 at 12:13 AM  
Blogger Ur-spo said...

Happy christmas to the both of you !

December 25, 2017 at 2:00 PM  
Blogger Dave R said...

Hope your holidays are simply wonderful!

And I did see where the Idiot Jerk is taking credit for people saying Merry Christmas.

December 25, 2017 at 4:23 PM  
Blogger todd gunther said...

Thank you to all for your holiday wishes.

Naturally, he WOULD take credit, Dave.

December 25, 2017 at 5:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home