arteejee

A site of satirical musings, commentary and/or rhetorical criticism of the world at large.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Southeastern, Pennsylvania, United States

Sunday, February 24, 2019

Sunday Morning Post (V.1; #5): Peter Tork


The Baby Boomer Generation lost another celebrity from their youth this week with the passing of Monkee Peter Tork.  He was the group member content to play the part of the “dumb” blond haired member of the group.  Little did any of us know the truth about Peter.

He was only one of two true musicians of the group, and he was the only of those two who studied music.  The other, Michael Nesmith, was largely self-taught, judging from the comments in his memoir, Infinite Tuesday.  Their musicianship, including song writing skills, took a back seat to the more established artists as Neil Diamond, song writers Boyce and Hart, and producer Don Kirshner.  The group itself was the out-front, prime time faces of a Kirshner’s Top Forty hit-making machine.  The group rebelled after two albums and were finally able to gain more creative control of their artistry.

The subsequent releases may not have soared to the number one spot on the Billboard Top 100 charts, but they were the more authentic sound of the group put together for the television show.

In retrospect, we their audience should have no complaints.

The one Peter Tork performance which stood out to me was his vocal on “Shades of Grey”.  I have already featured a video of that song, but I still want to pay tribute with one song Tork co-wrote (For Pete’s Sake), and one video which actually shows him performing (Randy Scouse Git).

Please enjoy these selections.



(Thank you for reading.   Rest in Peace, Mr. Tork.)

6 Comments:

Blogger Debra She Who Seeks said...

The Monkees were so huge when I was a kid -- second only to the Beatles among little fangirls, LOL! I've seen quite a few Monkees clips over the past few days and it seems they did nothing in the TV series except run around, run, run, run, and sing. Always running!

February 24, 2019 at 11:22 AM  
Blogger Bob said...

I wasn't what you'd call a fan, but my sister? Oy. We were forced to watch and listen!
Still,Peter was cuter than Davey,
RIP

February 24, 2019 at 2:27 PM  
Blogger Ur-spo said...

I too enjoyed Mr. Tork and his fellow Monkees.
I had a secret enjoyment of them, preferring them to more 'proper' bands.

February 24, 2019 at 7:10 PM  
Blogger Raybeard said...

This is the first time I've seen the group at any time performing 'Randy Scouse Git'. You may know that in this country it was called, enigmatically and for reasons of 'taste', 'Alternate Title' - and under that name reached #2 in our charts, June '67. Maybe it wasn't released at all in U.S.A.? - at least I can't find it in the Billboard charts.
The story is that Dolenz heard the phrase when watching in a London hotel one of our then most popular TV shows, 'Till Death Us Do Part' (which I, incidentally, detested with a passion!), and he liked the sound of it without knowing what it meant. Even today the word 'git' is used as a put-down epithet in the same way, with the same meaning, as calling someone a 'bastard'.

February 25, 2019 at 4:35 AM  
Blogger Dave R said...

Peter was always my favorite, special because he wasn't trying to desperately be special.

February 25, 2019 at 2:18 PM  
Blogger todd gunther said...

Thank you Debra. My brother and I would watch the show every week. I've come to appreciate the music in the years since then.

Thank you, Bob. Sorry that you were forced in to seeing and hearing them.

Thank you, Spo. I think the Monkees happened just before I got interested in listening to the music on the radio.

Thank you, Raybeard. I learned a lot about the background of that song in the last few days. I will have to research if it was released here as a single. Till Death Do Us Part became the ground breaking All in The Family over here.

Thank you Dave R. At the time I liked Mickey the best. He seemed so nutty.

February 26, 2019 at 5:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home