arteejee

A site of satirical musings, commentary and/or rhetorical criticism of the world at large.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Southeastern, Pennsylvania, United States

Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Is That the First Amendment Burning, or Are You Just Holding a Firecracker?

Let’s take stock of the problems facing our country today. Americans are dying in Iraq... Okay, you’re right. This is déjà vu. This is the beginning of my 6/12/06 entry, where I let the GOP Congress have it because of all the problems facing us today, they decided to tackle the mounting crisis (no pun intended) of gay marriage with a Constitutional amendment. The attempt failed, but this week they are debating passage of another amendment.

If I were in a real lazy mood I would direct you back to my previous blog entry and instruct you to substitute the words “flag burning” every time I used the phrase “gay marriage”.

I am either getting very psychic in my old age, or the GOP Congress is getting too predictable. I predicted in my earlier entry that the flag burning amendment would be revived in time for the Fourth of July. No, I am not that gifted. Congress has run out of innovative ideas to raise their standings in the polls (I mean solve the real problems of this country).

Basically, Congress wants to give themselves the power to legislate punishment against people who burn the American flag. This isn’t the first time this idea has been pushed through Congress. The previous attempts ended with the Supreme Court giving its thumbs downs as unconstitutional. To them it’s a free speech issue; to Congress it’s a sign of disrespect towards the country and everyone who loves America.

This time, however, there is a chance it will succeed because some Democrats are on board supporting the idea. I’m puzzled by their motives. Either they are trying to show the nation that Democrats do care about the USA, or they are running for re-election. I have a suspicion that it is the latter reason.

Just a word on the act itself: I would not burn the flag myself because I am not into destruction of any kind. At the same time, I can see why the act is attractive to revolutionaries who want to make a concise, dramatic statement to the world about our policies. A flag reduced to ashes is probably worth a thousand words. This time I have to agree with the Supreme Court.

I am confident that the high court would strike the flag-burning ban down again if it reaches them. We should note here, as at least one other newspaper columnist has, that such an amendment in our Constitution would put us in company with Saddam Hussein, Fidel Castro, Adolf Hitler, and others who outlawed destruction of their country’s flags.

Are you beginning to see a pattern with this list of world leaders? A flag burning amendment would push us one step closer to a dictatorship.

Good company, indeed!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

As the flag represents freedom and equality only for heterosexuals, it is nothing more than a dated symbol to this proud queer. I'll use it as cumrag, and be within my few constitutional rights as an American homosexual to do so!

August 22, 2006 at 3:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home