arteejee

A site of satirical musings, commentary and/or rhetorical criticism of the world at large.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Southeastern, Pennsylvania, United States

Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Thanksgiving 2007: Gratitude for Life’s Little Moments

Once again, the end-of-the-year holidays are upon us and the rush to prepare for and celebrate them is as hectic as ever. First, there’s the stampede to the grocery store for the Thanksgiving feast. Within hours after that feast is concluded, the big gift-shopping race for Christmas (and Hanukkah) will begin. By the end of the holiday season, the human race will generate enough stress to power all the cars in the United States; that is, if stress-powered vehicles existed.

Then let’s consider my cat, Steven. A typical day for him is waking up with me to get his wet cat food. He will eat that, lick his lips, use his box, and then go back upstairs to my bed. There he will curl up for an endless series of catnaps. His day is now complete and it’s not even 5:30 in the morning!

I considered this last week as I watched him sleeping. I didn’t see Steven as being lazy, but rather as serene and tranquil. No cares, no worries, no stress...at least until evening when his stomach tells him its time to eat more wet cat food.

Sometimes I am envious of his lifestyle, but this particular day I felt grateful for being able to share this peaceful moment with him. The running around to get the material possessions that I think I need for my life didn’t seem important to me as I watched him. I realized that this time was unique and that any time we shared in the future would never be exactly like this one now.

This year, I am thankful for all the moments and opportunities I have had to grow as a person. I am thankful for everything life has given me so far. I have been fortunate to get a good education that has allowed me to get and keep my job, that adequately pays for all my needs (food, clothing, and shelter). I am also thankful for the comfort my house brings to me and those that mean the most to me. This comfort allows Steven to pass his days in quiet and serenity away from the madness of the outside world.

I am thankful for the experiences I have had with different people – some old friends, some new acquaintances — which have contributed to my life in one way or another.

I would be remiss if I did not express my thankfulness for the chance to spend time with my family, namely my mother and brother during this holiday. I am thankful that my mother is now recovering from her operations earlier this year. I am also thankful that I share my life with Anne Marie and our two cats. The three of them are an oasis of sanity in my crazy world. Anne Marie will cringe when she reads this sentimental bit, but it is from my heart.

Steven has moved off the bed. It must be time for his dinner. Have a happy Thanksgiving holiday everyone!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home