arteejee

A site of satirical musings, commentary and/or rhetorical criticism of the world at large.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Southeastern, Pennsylvania, United States

Saturday, September 24, 2016

And It’s Autumn…


I had full intentions of writing an entry earlier this week, but for one reason or another it did not happen. My wrist injury - which I am supposed to be treating with a temporary splint - makes typing on the computer keyboard difficult. If my wrist does not heal in two weeks, then the orthopedist will upgrade me to a plaster cast for 3-6 weeks. The idea that, for the first time in my life, I will need to wear a cast is not helping my currently gloomy (or gloomier than usual) mood.

Just as well. The ideas for essays have not been coming easily lately. My muses left ideas scribbled in some sort of short hand gibberish on post it notes here and there before abandoning me altogether. I don’t really know where they went. I have one theory that perhaps they have been seduced by promises of a lucrative future working in a Hawaiian shirt factory somewhere in the southwestern part of the country. Ah, I can just see them now, probably working 12-14 hour days handcuffed to a battery of old Singer sewing machines.

It would serve the bitches right!

In any event, the most disappointing, hottest summer of my life is over and autumn has arrived. The temperatures have cooled already, although the humidity is still hanging around in the atmosphere like the toxic air left behind whenever a certain nominee for President comes to town. With this in mind, we should celebrate my favorite time of year. It’s not too hot, not too cold, and many times it can be just right.

In this spirit, we present a video of one of the most hauntingly beautiful songs recorded in the rock era. This is probably the most wonderful Moody Blues song which the group never recorded. Their lead singer, Justin Hayward, was invited to sing this song as part of Jeff Wayne’s production of H.G. Wells The War of the Worlds. We can listen to it as a lament for someone who lost their beloved and beloved way of life to the Martian invaders. Or a dirge for those of us who are looking at the things to come beyond this election and not liking what we see one bit.

Your choice, but by all means please enjoy.




(Thank you for reading.  Okay, now my wrist aches.  I know, whine, whine, whine!)

6 Comments:

Blogger Ur-spo said...

Mr Singer was a scondrel, although the story is fascinating.
This song was too sad for a Saturday night. boohoo

September 24, 2016 at 8:46 PM  
Anonymous Janey, Goddess of Healing said...

Come! Come to my home! I will medicate you with weed and booze... My cat Ivy will sleep on your chest, just the way PigBoy (my 29{!}pound Tomcat used to when you when you all fucked up and unable to fulfill any function except cat bed. Come.

September 24, 2016 at 8:59 PM  
Blogger Raybeard said...

Ta for the update, though it's not quite what we were hoping to hear. It goes without saying that you'll be longing for the time when the pain and miserable inconvenience of it all is behind you, and may that time come on apace.

I too love the look and smells of Autumn, though it tends to be short-lived and for me the mood is always clouded by the dread of what may the next season may bring which, truth to tell, doesn't always transpire. But it's the uncertainty that makes me uneasy.

This song always puts me in mind of Amsterdam, as that was where I first became familiar with it. Plangent melody and lyrics, perfectly in keeping with the season referred to.

I hope next time we hear from you your post will be more upbeat to reflect your then state - perhaps even with the plaster off, though that might be a bigger hope than is realistic. But sincerely trust that progress in that area has been assured.
Best wishes as ever.

September 25, 2016 at 2:39 AM  
Blogger todd gunther said...

Thank you for the comment, Spo. Yes, the song is sad, but sometimes we need to wallow in it so we can better appreciate the emotion at the other end, Happiness.

Thank you, Janey for the invite. We hope to see you soon!

Thank you Raybeard for your thoughts and wishes. The wrist issue is at the moment just a minor annoyance. I will keep everyone posted on my progress, provided I can make it entertaing.

September 25, 2016 at 9:12 AM  
Blogger Fearsome Beard said...

Cracking up over Janey's comment.
A cat named PigBoy. I used to have a "play Buddy" who affectionately called me PigBoy. My my my...that was years ago.

September 28, 2016 at 8:47 AM  
Blogger todd gunther said...

I believe his official name was Pepper, but Janey can confirm this. The story Janey told is totally true; Pigboy was HUGE! Thanks for the comment Fearsome Beard.

October 2, 2016 at 8:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home