arteejee

A site of satirical musings, commentary and/or rhetorical criticism of the world at large.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Southeastern, Pennsylvania, United States

Saturday, August 12, 2017

We’re Not Heavy…



I have spent a few hours today playing with my new toy: a new computer.  The old one was ten years old, ran slow, and seemed to encourage my display of colorful language against old, slow computers.  I know it will take me awhile to find all of my new features, but for now I’ve been giving my new computer speakers a work out going through some classic rock and roll selections on YouTube.

Events of the day outside my living room have compelled me to post a Saturday night video.  A Klan rally in Charlottesville, VA got ugly today.  It brought out the usual counter protests, but this time the Klan resorted to violence.  At last count there was one dead and anywhere from seven to nineteen injured.

This event is still in media parlance a breaking story.   It will surely evolve into perhaps the defining moment of our era.  This may very well be our Kent State.

As if the horror of the event was not enough, the country’s leadership seemed to fall short of actually displaying leadership.  The President spoke out against the violence and called for unity as any previous presidents have done, buuuutttttt…once again his sentiment seemed to lack sincerity.

Then there were the words of former Klan leader David Duke giving full-throated endorsement of the President’s promise to take America back.  Thank you, Mr. Duke for giving us liberals more ammunition to lob at the President.  The President needs encouragement from you like he needs another asshole.

Anyway, the events of the day and my computer speaker test led me through some interesting trips down memory lane.   I found and played The Fortunes, You’ve Got Your Troubles, I’ve Got Mine…The Tremeloes Here Comes My Baby…Marmalade Reflections of My Life…Four Jacks and a Jill Master Jack…Buffalo Springfield For What’s It Worth…The Mike Curb Congregation Burning Bridges...

Then I decided on this one from The Hollies.  It was an anthem of the Woodstock Generation, and lord knows, everyone in America needs to listen and take all these words to heart…NOW!



(Thank you for reading…and listening.)

4 Comments:

Blogger Bob said...

That song says it all, and all of us, brothers AND sisters, who don't like where _____ is taking us, need to put down our phones, turn off the TV, stop whining about Hillary AND Bernie, and DO SOMETHING!

2018 is coming up and it's a good place to start.

August 13, 2017 at 8:32 AM  
Blogger Dave R said...

So, what kind of computer did you get?

Always was a Hollies fan - "The Air that I Breathe" was tremendous.

August 13, 2017 at 4:20 PM  
Blogger todd gunther said...

Thank you, Bob for your thoughts. Social media seems to be the way to go, but we shouldn't rule out the more traditional forms of outreach such as attending protests/vigils or writing to our legislators.

Thank you Dave. warrior Queen has corrected me: I didn't get a new computer, but I did get my tower replaced. It's a Lenovo tower. Whatever it's a new computer to me.
"The Air That I Breathe" is my favorite Hollies song, but didn't seem quite appropriate for the events of the past weekend.

August 14, 2017 at 6:47 AM  
Blogger Ur-spo said...

thank you for writing

August 15, 2017 at 11:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home