arteejee

A site of satirical musings, commentary and/or rhetorical criticism of the world at large.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Southeastern, Pennsylvania, United States

Sunday, February 04, 2018

One After 1,000



Oops, I missed a milestone last week when I published my 1,000th entry and did not raise so much as a toast of Diet Coke to mark the achievement.  Okay, this is overdue, but I will do a low-key cheer.

…yay, me!

Okay, that’s enough of self-congratulations.  Besides I risk pulling a muscle in my shoulder if I try to pat myself on the back.

I wonder how Herr President is able to do it without injuring his golf swing.  Perhaps he is double jointed in the shoulder department.  This could be something else to loathe him for if it’s true.

Actually, my mind has been elsewhere, far away from the political resistance and cultural revolution.  I had my first cortisone shot in the left hip this past week.  I have been told that it can take anywhere from 3 days to two weeks before I feel the full effects of the shot. Indeed, the pain seems to be decreasing in very minor increments. 
   
I’m still very stiff in the joint when I sit for longer than five minutes,* but I am noticing that I feel more comfortable (or confident) in walking a little faster each day.  I am nowhere near my fastest walking/striding time, whatever that was, but I think I’m now heading in the right direction.

Another reason for my neglecting a proper tribute to blog entry #1000 is there has been a distraction in the form of our local team is playing in today’s Big Game. This is something that only happens once in every 15-20 years, give or take 100 years, or so it seems.  The fact that the Philadelphia Eagles are playing to win their first championship ever is enough to throw everyone off their day-to-day routine. 

The Eagles (or Iggles as it is pronounced in true Phillyese) are up against a team that has been to the Big Game at least 8 times.  One wonders how the New England Patriots are so good that they are able to compete for the championship trophy for so many years.  Well, it’s probably due to a combination of determination, talent, skill and above all a desire to always play fairly and never sully the good name of professional football by resorting to cheating…BWA-HA-HA!

I knew I wouldn’t be able to get through that sentence without a straight face!  Oh well, at least I tried.

This will be the Eagles third trip to the Big Game.  This year feels different.  We’re widely considered to be the underdogs.  This year the Eagles are the ones with the determination, talent and skill.   This could be the year we bring the Vince Lombardi trophy home to Philly.

In past years I would watch some of the Big Game mainly to see the newest batch of commercials from American business.  This year I have plans to watch more of the game with proper snack supplies: shrimp, chips, dip, cheese and crackers, and perhaps a beer or two.  This is more in keeping with the gluttonous spirit of the day.  Millions of Americans will wolf down chicken wings, pizza, chips, soda and beer, beer, beer today.  Supposedly we will eat more today than we normally eat on our other annual feast day, Thanksgiving, all while our eyes are glued to the comings and goings of two professional football teams. 

Ah, but today is the ultimate game and the end of the football season for another six months or so.  So, in the spirit of local team boosterism: Yay!  Go Eagles!

*A good as reason as any I suppose for my drop off in writing blog entries.  I cannot sit down long enough to put two thoughts together on the computer screen.

(Thank you for reading.  The idea that the New England Patriots can play a fair game…BWA-HA-HA-HA!)

5 Comments:

Blogger Mistress Maddie said...

I'll be right with you and Warrior Queen being gluttonous and rooting for a home boys to hopefully get the win!!!!

FLY EAGLES FLY!!!!!!!!!!

And if they do win.....I plan on being no where near downtown. I will be like WW3 pandemonium.

Enjoy the game!

February 4, 2018 at 2:00 PM  
Blogger Ur-spo said...

Oh! Warm congratulations on the 1,000 entry! May there be 1,000 more !

February 4, 2018 at 6:20 PM  
Blogger Dave R said...

The Idiot Jerk doesn't need to pat himself on the back, he's got Social Conservatives lined up just to touch his evilness.

February 5, 2018 at 7:47 PM  
Anonymous Old Lurker said...

Happy 1000th! May you have many thousands more.

February 6, 2018 at 9:09 PM  
Blogger todd gunther said...

Thank you, Maddie. We won't be going to the parade or near the Center City madness either.

Thank you, Spo for your wishes.

True, Dave R. They may live to be sorry for all this.

Thank you, Old Lurker!

February 8, 2018 at 5:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home