arteejee

A site of satirical musings, commentary and/or rhetorical criticism of the world at large.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Southeastern, Pennsylvania, United States

Wednesday, September 28, 2011

ADHD Blog Writer’s Block

Move along now! There’s nothing to see here...at least not today. It’s not that I don’t have anything to say, but, well, okay, I can’t focus on any one topic to make it worthwhile.

Oh, there’s plenty going on in my world. The job is good, but it leaves me mentally exhausted at night. My coding class is going into the home stretch, with the actual certification examination scheduled for November 5. Between these two poles are my everyday life and all of its obligations. In short, I’ve been feeling overwhelmed by it all. I have too much on my plate...no, strike that, I have so much going on that I feel like I’m carrying two full plates at once. That’s not necessarily a bad thing — I’ve been known to accomplish such a feat at various Chinese buffets in my area — but sometimes the weight of the contents can strain your arms.

I’ve fallen off the exercise wagon. I haven’t used my stationary bicycle in weeks; ordinarily I would do at least 25 minutes a day, or about five miles. Three times a week I would go to cardio rehab, but this month my heart hasn’t been in it. (ba boom ching!) There are various other reasons: a cold one week, car trouble the next, and a spell of very humid weather which by all rights should have departed with the summer season last week.

Would you believe I’m working up a sweat while I’m writing this entry? That’s how humid it is!

Beyond my life, the world is plodding along. The Philadelphia Phillies found their bats again after an eight game losing streak. They are now on the verge of setting a new franchise record of 102 victories in a single season if they can sweep the Atlanta Braves tonight. In the regular season, a sweep of the Braves would be a tall order, but stranger things have happened lately. After tonight, all eyes will be on the post season, and I hope the Phillies players get a few days rest before the slate is wiped clean for the start on Saturday.

The political world has been rather ho-hum lately. There’s been no clear front runner yet in the Republican presidential nominee race. All of the straw polls — those self-inflated media events that are treated as one big party wherever and whenever they happen — have not produced any one viable candidate. Oh yeah, Bachmann took Iowa, Romney won in Michigan, and Cain wowed them in Florida (I suspect a massive free pizza giveaway to the party faithful there), and the shadow of Perry looming over everything else. Palin has become a wallflower, dressing up nicely and making waves once in awhile as she awaits the right moment to join the dance.

The big scandal of the week involves a wardrobe malfunction on Dancing with the Stars, when television talking head Nancy Grace spilled out of her costume, and revealed that she does have at least one nipple. Naturally, the still pictures and a clumsily edited video version have become an Internet sensation. Nancy has denied that it happened at all, which is not the route to take. She should (okay, I’m getting this out of my system now) bare all on an episode of her own show, come clean about the ensuing scandal, and perhaps flash the other one. After all, these things do come in pairs!

Did I use the word scandal? Alas, it is much ado about nothing.

Anne Marie is in mourning: two of her favorite blogs have decided to cease. There will be no more “Undie Monday” (a weekly feature of scantily clad men in undershorts) as that blogger has decided to stop writing. I can’t say that I blame him. I enjoy blogging myself, even if the entire concept comes off as an egotistical exercise for many writers. On the down side, the pay is non-existent and the benefits suck! Don’t even ask about a retirement plan.

I’ve contemplated taking a similar break, at least until my coding class is finished. Honestly, I don’t know what to do yet. I’m still mulling over my options. So come back Friday; better yet make it Saturday. If I’m here, I’m here. If not, then go on and live your lives, balancing as many full plates as you can handle at the buffet of life. Check back every few days; I may be here after I rest my arms.

(Thank you for reading; this is my 600th post, believe it or not! Go Phillies!!!!!!!!!!)

1 Comments:

Anonymous Janey said...

Dear RTG,

CONGRATS on your 600th post!

DON'T STOP NOW! This faithful reader will feel a loss if you do.

If you are need of inspiration, recall the sensations of the "second-hand smoke" you accidentally inhaled as one of those "funny cigarettes" was being passed around by our fellow Alpha Psi brothers/sisters. Aaaaahhhh -- remember that feeling? :-) See where such recollections take you -- and then sit your ass down and keep writing...

Ever Yours,
Janey
Queen of the "Funny Cigarettes"

September 29, 2011 at 5:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home