arteejee

A site of satirical musings, commentary and/or rhetorical criticism of the world at large.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Southeastern, Pennsylvania, United States

Sunday, February 11, 2018

Warrior Queen is Well (Again)



Things are back to normal in my neck of the world.  The Philadelphia Eagles won their first ever Super Bowl Championship. They had won previous national championships, but even that last one happened 58 years ago.  The city went into a frenzy with a victory parade that set records for the tons of trash and garbage dropped and later collected.

The Eagles triumphant success this season even had an effect on a personal level.  Warrior Queen went from being a devout atheist for any thing beyond the Philadelphia Phillies to a being a rabid football fan…if only for one day.

Still, I was concerned for a few days this week.  For a while, I felt certain that WQ had been replaced by an exact duplicate sometime over last weekend. There were two reasons why I believed that the real WQ had been spirited away, either by muses or Vikings.

I should first clarify her stance on professional sports before proceeding further.  WQ is not a fan of professional football.  She only follows baseball, and of course she has a soft spot for the Philadelphia Phillies.  WQ never had any interest in watching any National Football League games during the season, and has a special disdain for all the hype which usually accompanies the Big Game.

Last weekend, while I was watching the Big Game in our basement, WQ (Or An Unreasonable Facsimile Thereof) shouted down to me to ask if the Eagles were still ahead.  This was very late in the Fourth Quarter.  Moments later, the clock ran out just as the New England Patriots failed to complete a field length pass.  At this point WQ (OAUFT) was heard to shout WOO HOO when she realized that the Eagles had won their first ever Big Game championship.

WOO HOO?   Yes, you read it here first.

My suspicions were further deepened the next morning, a Monday morning I might add.  WQ has long hated/dreaded/abhorred and otherwise disdained Monday mornings.  It is Monday mornings when her demands for Happy Juice (Starbucks House Blend, artificial sweetener, non-dairy creamer, stirred, not shaken) is most pronounced.  This particular post Super Bowl victory Monday morning, she was positively beaming like sunshine BEFORE she began sipping on her Happy Juice.

Again, you read that here first.

As the week progressed, I noted signs that the euphoria she experienced earlier in the week was wearing off and the old WQ personality was coming back.  She still had a healthy resistance towards the current administration.  Her internet comments about the same and the implications that regime has had on redefining our American political and culturally values are as caustic as ever.

There could be another reason for this second personality change in less than week.  WQ is now distracted with the anticipation that baseball season is nearly here.  Pitchers and catchers report for pre-season training this week.

I won’t really know for sure if the old WQ is back until tomorrow morning.  If she growls when I wish her a Happy Monday as I serve her Happy Juice, then I will know that she is back to normal and all is right with our world again.

Still, it was nothing short of a miracle that the Eagles winning had on the hometown and WQ.   Thank you, guys.   You gave everyone something for which we could be proud.

(Thank you for reading.  So, Eagles, could you make yourselves available to show the Phillies the secret to winning a game?)

3 Comments:

Blogger Bob said...

Sometimes it takes an Eagle to win to let one's true self shine?
I dunno; I'm reaching here.

February 11, 2018 at 12:14 PM  
Blogger Dave R said...

My sister said my brother-in-law had to cry when they won... I told her that I believe quite a number of people cried.

February 12, 2018 at 11:10 AM  
Blogger todd gunther said...

Hi Bob. I think I know what you're trying to say. Don't stop reaching!

Thank you Dave R. I have to admit I was a bit misty-eyed at the end myself.

February 14, 2018 at 8:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home