arteejee

A site of satirical musings, commentary and/or rhetorical criticism of the world at large.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Southeastern, Pennsylvania, United States

Sunday, July 18, 2021

Sunday Whatever Post, Vol. 3, #24: Cat Out of the Carrier


So this week will be a short sequel to last week's entry when we had placed Oreo in a carrier for transport to the local veterinarian hospital.   As readers may recall, the wait time for medical care given to us last weekend seemed to defy the tolerance of the most patient human being on the planet,  let alone a cat in a carrier.  Wait 10 hours in a cramped plastic jail?  I don't think so,  and Oreo readily agreed.

I decided to wait for the previously scheduled house call from our regular vet.  Alas,  she called Wednesday morning to rescheduled the Wednesday afternoon appointment.  I reviewed Oreo's latest symptoms at that point -  still no bowel movement, urination okay,  decreasing interest in food. The vet urged me to get her to the hospital.  My panic attack kicked into hyperventilation drive at this suggestion,  but I was soon on the phone hoping for some sort of encouraging news that they could see her that day.

As luck would have it I was being given the same long wait time of 6-7 hours I received the previous weekend.  I then pressed the prompt reserved for emergencies.  There a live person (!) answered and listened to my tale of kitty woe.   I was told that I could bring her in and the vet could triage her within a few hours.  I agreed to get her there soon, even though I had not even gotten her back into her carrier at that point.  I anticipated a struggle getting cat info carrier.

A quick call to my supervisor advising that I would be punching out for the day,  dressed quickly,  coaxed Oreo up from her basement room, and wrapped her in a towel so I could drop her into the upended carrier.  Naturally she howled the entire time,  but I reassured her that this kitty abduction was for her own good.

Oreo arrived at the hospital by 11:00 that morning, and as luck would further have it (this time better luck) a vet saw her within an hour.  They would do blood work and x-rays to see what her blockage problem was and advised that they would keep her overnight.  I agreed to this,  paid a large deposit for her care,  and returned home.

I got a call that night with an encouraging prognosis.  Oreo was indeed impacted and they would do at least one enema to unblock her.  They found that her colon was dilated, a condition which could make prevent future bowel movements.   We're keeping an eye on this mega colon issue.  They would give her an IV for hydration purposes,  but so far she was not showing any interest in eating.  The vet assured me that her lack of appetite could be just stress from being in a strange place where four-footed beings much larger than herself were apt to be barking their heads off all through the night.

A call the next day gave me some encouraging news, but only to a point.   Oreo's bowel movements had gone from super hard and unyielding to excrementally runny (gross pun intended).  Also there was no change in her appetite:  the howling of the other inmates at the hospital were making her into a nervous wreck.  They would keep her one more night,  but they expected that she would improve.

Day Three:  a call from the hospital around noon gave me the good news that her appetite had improved and I arranged to pick her up that evening.   Oreo came home with two medications -  one liquid administered into the mouth via syringe and the other a pill which I could put in with her food.   I have given her the liquid drug a few times,  I haven't got quite got the hang of getting her mouth open.   I will keep trying.  I also need to arrange another house call from the regular vet to do a follow up appointment.

So, Oreo is better and as ornery as ever,  but we still have a ways to go.

(Thank you for reading and thank you all for your well wishes.)


15 Comments:

Blogger Debra She Who Seeks said...

Poor Oreo! What an ordeal! You too, as her human. I'm glad things seem to be resolved and on the upswing.

July 18, 2021 at 4:16 PM  
Blogger kent said...

poor oreo and you have been great at getting oreo the care that is needed

July 18, 2021 at 4:17 PM  
Blogger Breenlantern said...

I’m glad to read Oreo is doing better. Can you send me an email? I tried the one you gave me, but it bounced back: breenlantern@gmail.com

Sassybear
Www.Idleeyesandadormy.Com

July 18, 2021 at 7:26 PM  
Blogger Dave R said...

I'll be honest with you. The only time I've ever had a pet, cat or dog, who refused to open his mouth was when I had to give them meds. Most of the time they can't keep their mouths shut. Approach with a plastic syringe with pink meds they suddenly have lockjaw.

July 18, 2021 at 8:28 PM  
Blogger uptonking said...

Well, glad to hear it turned out well. I must say, both yours and Oreo's nerves must be shot. I can't imagine having a pet in hospital for three days. How nerve wracking. Wishing you both the very best. Sending plenty of healing energy to you both.

July 18, 2021 at 10:58 PM  
Blogger Raybeard said...

OMG! What a living nightmare! We know just how much relieved you'd have felt when it eventually turned out the way it did, thankfully. We know from our own experiences how, when a pet has ailments, especially serious ones as in Oreo's case, how it just consumes one's entire life. But so pleased to read that, for now at least, all is much better. Long may it be s
Btw - I''ve thought a lot about your cats since///But very happy indeed that it sounds like you're managing alone to cope with them.

Btw - I've thought a lot about your cats since..... but was afraid to ask. Now so much happier to read that you appear to be managing with them alone.



July 19, 2021 at 1:43 AM  
Blogger Raybeard said...

Apologies for the cryptic part-duplicated end to my comment above. Typos galore!

July 19, 2021 at 1:45 AM  
Blogger todd gunther said...

Hi Debra. I'm hopeful that she will continue to improve. Her regular vet has scheduled a visit for next week for a follow up. I hope Oreo will get a good report.

Thank you, Kent. I will admit that it has been a struggle.

Dear Breenlantern, thank you for your well wishes. I hope you did get my e-mail.

I have had the same issue with various pets over the years, Dave R.

Thank you Upton for your healing energy.

Thank you Raybeard for all of your coments, cryptic or not. Not that this is necessarily a good thing, but Oreo's health crisis has been a diversion from my larger life changing crisis at the moment. I'm coping, and that's the best way I know how to put it.

July 20, 2021 at 9:21 AM  
Blogger Jimmy said...

I was having flashbacks (PTSD) reading your story. With my Phil, I always say , "A whisker first and then a claw". The vet bill is the salt in the wound from the scratches and bites.

July 20, 2021 at 3:10 PM  
Blogger Bob said...

So glad Oreo is feeling better and taking in food at one end and depositing out the other.

Our pets mean so much to us. This makes me smile.

July 20, 2021 at 8:58 PM  
Blogger Travel said...

She will feel so much better with things working again.

July 21, 2021 at 7:55 AM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

Poor Oreo! I'm so glad to hear that she's improving now and is back at home.

Take care of yourself and the furkids!

July 22, 2021 at 12:57 PM  
Blogger Janie Junebug said...

I hope Oreo has continued to improve.

Love,
Janie Junebug

July 23, 2021 at 11:20 PM  
Blogger Ur-spo said...

Blogger seems to be eating my comments again.
I will call this weekend.

July 24, 2021 at 9:09 PM  
Blogger James Dwight Williamson said...

Sound like one furkid doing better, excellent

July 25, 2021 at 4:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home