arteejee

A site of satirical musings, commentary and/or rhetorical criticism of the world at large.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Southeastern, Pennsylvania, United States

Friday, April 28, 2006

Of Cabbages and Kings (of Kids and Bongs)

ITEM #1 - THE PRESIDENT GETS A BREAK!

Good news for the President: I won't be commenting on his latest shenanigans for this or the next blog entry. Barring some outrageously stupid act on his part during the next few days, President Bush will get a break from my blog.

ITEM #2 - TAKE YOUR CHILD TO WORK DAY

This week, companies all over the country celebrated "Take Your Child To Work Day". I couldn't participate directly, although I did suggest an activity for them: "Sam the Salty Sailor's Spelling Bee". I explained that in this game you don't give them the word, but you would give them the definition of the word. One example would be "A slang term for procreation." I don't believe my suggestion was used, but everyone had a good time anyway.

ITEM #3 - BONG ON PAGE ONE

Last weekend, a fraternity at my college alma mater (name withheld to protect the integrity of the institution) had a party that featured a device which enabled up to six people to drink beer from the same container at the same time. The local paper (name withheld to protect freedom of the press) identified the device as a bong. That's right! The word "bong" was printed right on the front page of the local paper, and the article didn't involve a drug bust!

We would never have used such language in front of our parents, unless they were super hip and had survived Woodstock. A bong was a device hidden from public view, usually under the bed, or so my friends told me. You would never have seen it out in the open, let alone on the front page of a largely conservative newspaper. I was shocked, and it made me wonder if after all these years drug paraphernalia is becoming a part of the accepted mainstream culture.

ITEM #4 - HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO MY LITTLE BROTHER

Don, if I don't see you Saturday, then I'll catch up with you later. Hope you have a great day!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home