arteejee

A site of satirical musings, commentary and/or rhetorical criticism of the world at large.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Southeastern, Pennsylvania, United States

Sunday, November 18, 2018

Roy Clark


A childhood memory surfaced to the front of my consciousness this week when I heard that entertainer Roy Clark passed away.   The memory was the first time I heard his version of Yesterday When I Was Young.  I was in the back of my father’s station wagon returning home from the Spectrum (Philadelphia) where my parents had taken us to see the Barnum & Bailey Circus.  I remember this day well, because I think it was the only time my parents took us out of school to do something together.

Anyway, I remember hearing the deejay say “Here is something new from Roy Clark.”  This would place the event somewhere around May 1969. I remember that the words resonated within me as I listened to them coming from the car speakers.

This is strange because I was not yet 10 years old and yet I could relate to a song regretting a lost youth and living empty life.  Wow!  Talk about being sensitive…

I remember seeing Clark perform on television.  He had just started hosting CBS’s rural focused answer to Rowan and Martin’s Laugh-In. They called it Hee Haw.  It was a variety show with short skits, blackouts and lots of musical interludes by the top artists in the country and western genre.  I remember Dad reminiscing about seeing Clark perform when Dad was stationed in New Orleans some years before.

I think this performance of Yesterday is from Hee Haw.


Yet Clark’s was widely respected as a guitar virtuoso.  I think this performance of Malaguena shows Clark in top form.

 
 

4 Comments:

Blogger Dave R said...

Roy Clark was a very, very good guitar player. I was as surprised as you... sadly, I had thought he'd died some years ago.

November 18, 2018 at 5:40 PM  
Blogger Deedles said...

I love Roy Clark! I think he was so totally underrated as a musician just because of his being on Hee Haw. He had a very distinctive voice, too.

November 18, 2018 at 6:03 PM  
Blogger Bob said...

I remember him mostly from Hee Haw!
RIP

November 18, 2018 at 9:50 PM  
Blogger todd gunther said...

Thank you, Dave. He hadn't been dead all these years, just out of the public eye unless you went to see him at this theater in MO.

Thank you Deedles. The Hee Hsw gig was a double edged sword. It may have kept him employed, but could he have achieved more in all these years? We'll never know.

Thank you, bob. At least we remember him for that.

November 22, 2018 at 2:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home