arteejee

A site of satirical musings, commentary and/or rhetorical criticism of the world at large.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Southeastern, Pennsylvania, United States

Friday, June 24, 2016

May I Have Your Attention Please?


Dear World,

I’ve been looking around at things, oh more to the point, everything, (life, the world, but not necessarily the universe, etc.) and I have concluded that I don’t care for the direction we’re heading.  We have made great strides in the last eight years (just a coincidence that the strides coincide with the Obama’s terms in office), but now it seems that we’re about to take two steps back. To wit….

The overall mood in this country pushing a candidate with all style, zero substance, and no previous elected-to-high-or-any-other-office experience into international prominence.  His supporters believe that immigrants are the cause of all of our problems and he is more than happy to support/exploit their notions.  For them, the attack is on two fronts: from Mexico and the Islamic world. Today we wake up to find that a majority of British voters feel the same way about immigrants and have directed their leaders to leave the European Union.

In the words of W.C. Fields, “Godfrey Daniels!”

Once again, examples that, individually, we human beings have proven ourselves capable of great achievements. As a group, sometimes we can behave like morons.

We, in the largely Christian-dominated Western Culture, should pause and think how the ideals we are supposedly learning in our places of worship compare to the current thinking of turning our backs on our fellow mankind.  We learn once, but mind you only once a year, that we should extend good will to all men (and women).  Apparently, during the rest of the year, mankind is on its own.   Apologies to mankind from myself, but I wish I could feel that I am speaking for the rest of us.

Yes, Christianity, I am calling your bluff.

Many of the world’s immigrants are refugees from areas of the world which collapsed around them.  We should probably ask ourselves if we, or our leaders acting as our surrogates, did something to hasten the destruction of the immigrants’ lives.  

Oh no, not us!  I must be kidding!   What am I thinking!   We are not the problem!   It’s not our fault!  It’s the refugees fault!  How dare they be born in countries prone to instability!

Compassion, Christians, compassion!   We need to see more of this in our dealings with the rest of the world.   Do you actually think that us progressive-thinking people don’t have better things to do than pull the rest of your sorry asses away from the precipice of  disaster?   Newsflash:  we do have better things we want to do with our lives.

I will pause now to slap myself in the forehead.  Ouch!  Okay, I’ve done that annnnnnd…I see people are still acting stupid.

This overall movement away from unity and into isolationism all over the globe is alarming.  It appears that the United Kingdom leaving the European Union is just the first chapter of what promises to be a book of catastrophes.  Already the heads of the current British leadership have rolled, and markets are plunging worldwide. 

Happy Trails to 401k’s everywhere!

And we were so close to moving forward!

Again, to quote Fields, “Drat!”

With this spirit in mind, we will post a call for unity and togetherness.  Maybe it will do some good.


Or, as Warrior Queen philosophically noted this morning, “And the world keeps on turning!”
 
Stupid world!

(Thank you for reading.  And, oh yes, please have a nice day!)

4 Comments:

Blogger Raybeard said...

Your post chimes in perfectly with my prevailing mood, as you may see from my own last submission. I'm waiting and watching out the window looking out for the arrival of the Four Horsemen! With all the signs in place it's just got to be for real now! See you and W.Q. later either 'up there' or , much more likely, (at least for me), 'downstairs'!

Oh, and 'ta' for the song, which I do remember, but which in current times seems to sound much more like a cry for help.

June 25, 2016 at 5:27 AM  
Blogger todd gunther said...

Thank you Raybeard for your thoughts. Cry for help, call for action, whatever! Either one works for me. My mood is so low and not helped by The Donald's boasts that the UK leaving the EU will be good for him. Typical, how he wants to prosper at the expense of everyone else's misery.

June 25, 2016 at 6:26 AM  
Blogger Raybeard said...

We'll have to start singing REM's "It's the end of the world as we know it" - though leaving out the "I feel fine" bit.

June 25, 2016 at 9:44 AM  
Blogger todd gunther said...

Well, we could sing the "I feel fine" line with a deep sense of sarcasm....

June 26, 2016 at 8:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home