arteejee

A site of satirical musings, commentary and/or rhetorical criticism of the world at large.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Southeastern, Pennsylvania, United States

Sunday, August 15, 2021

Sunday Morning Post, Vol. 3, #28 Her Hate List

One of the wonderful tributes to our late Anne Marie was simply titled, "She Hated Abba."  A reference to vowing to never post an Abba video on her Saturday Night Dance Party, it became a running joke among her fans in the blogosphere.  Of course I was more than happy to taunt her from the relative safety of my computer at the back of our living room,  a mere 10 feet away from her seat on the living room couch where the ranted, raved and posted.  

Fortunately she never threw objects at me (although Lord only knows how she was able to hold back that temptation over the years).  For me her bark was always worse than her bite.

With this in mind I will continue my occasional tribute to the love of my life with this entry about people (and things) she hated.  My aim is to give a more balance picture of her life and for my own selfish purpose allow her to live again in the blogosphere.

VEGETABLES

Like most of her dislikes I never heard her thoroughly rationalize her hatred of veggies.   She would munch on carrots occasionally,  but a full on salad?  Never!  Many women enjoy salads with relish,  or at least a low calorie vinagrette.  Others, like Warrior Queen,  may mention that there was something about the vegetables texture which would put them off.  Whatever!  It meant more salad for me and my balanced diet.

JOHN WAYNE

I don't recall her ever saying anything against his acting ability or a preference for one role over the other.  I think his hawkish stand on social issues butted up against her awareness of the world around her (late 1960's, Vietnam, civil rights) at the same time.   I understood why Wayne adopted such an Establishment posture. Aside from career concerns I heard he was trying to assuage his guilt about being 4-F (he had a family to support) during World War Two when so many other young men went in his place and never came back.

Warrior Queen could never compartmentalize between a persons beliefs and their career accomplishments.  She could not stand him in one respect, therefore, in her eyes, they were damned in all respects.  I think she was also influenced by her Uncle Andy who was very much a social progressive and against our involvement in Vietnam.  He was a member of a Franciscan order and completing his studies when he succumbed to cancer at an early age.  His loss affected her more than I could know.

GUY FIERI

Okay, his voice may be a bit off putting and his hair may not be the most attractive, but otherwise her feelings for this tv celeb has me stumped.  I doubt if she ever saw an episode of "Diner, Drive-Ins and Dives" since she had not watched any television in about two decades.  Again, whatever.   His series is one of my guilty pleasures as I watch him down tons of food which must send his cardiologist (that is if he has one) into apoplexy.

EVANGELICALS (and by extension) CONSERVATIVE REPUBLICANS

This is a no brainer: Anne Marie was a liberal progressive who did not believe that evangelicals attitudes of morality had any place in today's society.   Again, no effort to compartmentalize. This is not to say that she had no morals, rather a reaction against their insistence that their brand of one-size fits all morality was how all in society (your own opposing religious or cultural believes be damned) should live.  As she said many times, in her less salty moods, "Tain't fittin."

This is one feeling of hers which I could not disagree with.  I bristle against intolerance in any way, shape or form.  This was something that wasn't discussed when we first met, as if we somehow knew how the other felt and accepted it.  Somehow it was the same feelings we both already had and grew to share and nurture over the years. This is definitely one of my most cherished memories of our years together.  

ABBA

I've always liked their music, but WQ found their brand of Swedish bubble gum pop too sickly sweet for her taste.  Whatever, but she may have been on to something.  Can anyone really accept a former James Bond, Pierce Brosnan, flailing his arms back forth with a cast of thousands on a Greek isle to the tune of "Dancing Queen"?  Sometimes, my taste in music is shaken to its core....

And that's my short list...for now.  Anne Marie, like all of us, was not a perfect human being.  She had deeply passionate beliefs in most subjects.  Sill, she knew what or who she liked, and fortunately for us we got the chance to be among the privileged few that was in her good graces.

Ultimately these encounters with her, including mine which lasted 28 years, were all too brief.  

This time, I can't bring myself to shrug this idea off with a casual "Whatever." 

(Thank you for reading.) 

12 Comments:

Blogger Bob said...

This makes me smile because, aside from vegetables, which I love, in every other respect:

I AM ANNE MARIE.

And I love that!

August 15, 2021 at 9:46 AM  
Blogger Deedles said...

Carebear will always live in the blogosphere, Todd :) I did learn something new, though. I had no idea that she had a less salty mood!

August 15, 2021 at 10:28 AM  
Blogger Travel said...

She always said what she felt, and that was so refreshing. It was easy to know what she had no tolerance for, and always encouraged us to leave behind toxic people, and make our own kind of music (as long as it wasn't the aforementioned band.) Gone to soon, but she her star burned brightly while she was here sharing her love.

August 15, 2021 at 11:45 AM  
Anonymous Old Lurker said...

AM was in good company wrt John Wayne: Public Enemy hated him as well. ("Elvis was a hero to most, but he didn't mean shit to me. Straight out racist that sucker was, simple and plain. Motherf--k him and John Wayne.")

Much of it stems back to this interview in Playboy magazine: https://web.archive.org/web/20200215172959/https://pages.shanti.virginia.edu/Wild_Wild_Cold_War/files/2011/11/John_Wayne_Playboy_Int2.pdf . Pages 3 and 7-8 have some of the most contentious statements.

August 15, 2021 at 12:15 PM  
Blogger Dave R said...

The veggies bit didn't surprise me in the least, the Wayne thing did. Being a bit older, I remember his movies as being entertaining, women (Maureen O'Hara) got equal billing, and he didn't grab my craw and twist it the way the scumbag Chuck Heston did.

August 15, 2021 at 12:16 PM  
Blogger Breenlantern said...

Thank you for shrug this - and her - with us. I look forward to similar posts n the future.

Hugs.

Sassybear

August 15, 2021 at 1:59 PM  
Blogger Raybeard said...

As an Abba-loving vegan it's rather surprising that she tolerated me at all - though I'm with her on John [Marion Morrison!] Wayne and 'Evangenitals'. Never heard of this Fieri chappie so I'll trusty her verdict on that.
If I hadn't been gay she would likely have told me to shove off pronto, though which turned out to have been a 'plus' - on both sides.

August 16, 2021 at 3:47 AM  
Blogger uptonking said...

This was lovely. A great tribute. I encourage you to keep writing about her. The little I knew of her? She was a gem.

I share her opinions on everything except: I love salad. The key is chopping the lettuce properly. And ABBA rules. Real ABBA - and yes, sweet to the point of painful, but that's the guilty pleasure of it. As for those abominations - the Mamma Mia movies? Oh my word... I cast a curse upon those involved. How dare they sully the purity of ABBA with their filth. No, seriously... those movies suck azz.

Kizzes.

August 16, 2021 at 8:31 AM  
Blogger Jimmy said...

I loved your wife. Our dislikes were identical as well as our love for furry men.
She is in my mind every time I'm on Blogger. Always will be.

August 16, 2021 at 9:01 AM  
Blogger todd gunther said...

I am happy to hear that you are Anne Marie, Bob. Sorry, I will not be serving you coffee at the ring of a bell as I would for her.

It's true Deedles. She could be caring without having to drop the F-bomb. I know it made her adorable to many of us....

Thank you, Travel. She would be good for encouraging others to never mind the nay-saywers we encounter every day.

Thank you Old Lurker for more info about John Wayne. I think society wanted to cast him as a one-size-fits all patriot. Like many of us he was more complex than that image allowed.

I actually forgot about Chuck Heston, Dave R. Did you know that both Heston and Ronald Reagan were originally liberals (!!!!). Who would have thought it?

Thank you, Sassy. There will be more posts like this. I have a lot of emotions to work through.

Hi Raybeard. Thank you for your thoughts. Now that all is said and done I wish I could have been more successful in getting her to eat greens.

Hi Upton. I hope they stop after two Mamma Mia movies. The world can only take so much.

Thank you, Jimmy. Yes, she loved the sight of bears on the blogospehere.

August 17, 2021 at 10:23 AM  
Blogger JM said...

This list made me smile. Thank you for sharing.

August 19, 2021 at 9:11 AM  
Blogger Debra She Who Seeks said...

Ha ha, I share Anne Marie's antipathy towards John Wayne and for the same reasons. And as for Guy Fieri, I can take him for one or two episodes but then that's enough! When the Food Channel runs those 24-hour Guy Fieri marathons, I am in Hell, LOL!

August 22, 2021 at 11:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home