arteejee

A site of satirical musings, commentary and/or rhetorical criticism of the world at large.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Southeastern, Pennsylvania, United States

Friday, September 10, 2021

 

ABBA Dance Party, Part Uno

This maybe the anger portion of the grieving process taking over,  but  I’m in a rebellious mood.  Recently there was a dreary, rainy Saturday afternoon and I was sick and tired of being depressed.   I brought up Youtube and played Abba’s Greatest Hits.  

Strange, the music is making me feel happy again.

So, let’s start the healing process and get this out of our systems now.  The posting of these videos will definitely bring me a “poomf” from the other side.*

In the order that the songs appeared on my AM radio in 1974:   WATERLOO.

I’m a history major and I learned more about this decisive military engagement from hearing this song on the radio then in any history class I ever took.  Aw, well, better learned than lost.  By the way, can Bjorn’s guitar get any more glam?



SOS



MAMMA MIA



I DO, I DO, I DO, I DO

I always loved the saxophone hook on this song.  This recording probably did as much for saxophones on a pop music recording as Wings Mull of Kintyre did for bagpipes.


 

 

FERNANDO

I always thought that the lyrics were a mini-drama between two lovers on the eve of battle.  Today, I read the lyrics and…that it is rather about two freedom fighters reminiscing not as lovers,  but old comrades once in arms.  Crossing the Rio Grande?  What?  They were fighting Texans?

Whatever you do, Fernando, make sure you wear a mask when crossing into Texas.  The sight of masks and the thought of unlimited suffrage pisses them off right now.



*Poomf – another term which strangely is not included in Spo and Wagnells, but it will be explained in a later posting.

(Thank you for listening.  Why wait for Saturday night to dance?)



12 Comments:

Blogger kent said...

go for it dancing the night away helped me thru some of the dark times

September 10, 2021 at 9:28 PM  
Blogger Bob said...

Nice Saturday Dance Party ... a little early, and a lot rebellious!

September 10, 2021 at 10:09 PM  
Blogger Mistress Maddie said...

Ok....now your just sweet talking me......

September 11, 2021 at 12:52 AM  
Blogger Breenlantern said...

Big Abba fan, so this post made me happy!

Sending hugs!

Sassybear
Www.Idleeyesandadormy.Com

September 11, 2021 at 7:34 AM  
Blogger Travel said...

Great fun music,

September 11, 2021 at 8:34 AM  
Blogger uptonking said...

Rather love this. And yes, Waterloo was a revelation. So much fun. It is my favorite ABBA song. Thanks for sharing the joy. Kizzes.

September 11, 2021 at 9:17 AM  
Blogger Jimmy said...

This gets you moving in the morning.

September 11, 2021 at 10:11 AM  
Blogger Debra She Who Seeks said...

Have you heard that ABBA is bringing out a NEW ALBUM of songs in a week or so and going on a "virtual hologram tour"?

September 11, 2021 at 11:48 AM  
Blogger Ur-spo said...

Poomf- This one I want to know.

September 11, 2021 at 9:35 PM  
Blogger todd gunther said...

Rock on, Kent!

Thank you Bob, I actually tried to post this last week, but it didn't take for some reason.

Hi Mistress. Thanks for joining the party.

Thank you for the hugs, Sassy.

Yes, it is fun music from a long time ago, Travel. If only we could go back...

Thank you, Upton. I will share more soon.

Good to hear that this is moving you, Jimmy.

Hi Debra. Yes, I did see the announcement and watched one of the videos. At the moment I am not impressed with this release, but I suppose I should let it grow on me.

Hi Spo. I shall explain this concept soon.

September 12, 2021 at 9:18 AM  
Blogger Dave R said...

Oh, my... Abba. (heavy sigh)

September 12, 2021 at 10:49 AM  
Blogger JM said...

I have a sitting on the fence with ABBA. Going to grade school and through high school, we carpooled with some neighbors and they always played ABBA in their car (well their parents did). So hearing the songs brings back many memories of carpooling with those friends and the fun we had.

September 17, 2021 at 11:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home