arteejee

A site of satirical musings, commentary and/or rhetorical criticism of the world at large.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Southeastern, Pennsylvania, United States

Sunday, August 29, 2021

Sunday Morning Post, Vol. 3, #30 - The Heatstroke Week

This past week  Southeast Pennsylvania had its sixth heat wave of the summer season.  It is August and this is when we are used to having days of excessive heat and humidity.  But,  we've had more heat waves this summer then I can ever remember having.  The temperatures (before humidity) topped out in the low 90's.   Post humidity:  the heat was near or slightly above 100.

In other words too effin' hot for man or beast.

Uncomfortable no matter how you sliced it,  and yes this heat could be sliced.  Fortunately our central air system performed faithfully.

Until Wednesday.  It was on that day our power died a few times in the morning and a few times that afternoon.  It briefly shut down everything including the work I was doing on my computer.   I didn't think much of it at the time;  oh,  there was a slew of oaths uttered in contempt of technology that would've made the salty Warrior Queen proud.   Fortunately my computer came back up after a few minutes without my having to reboot.  

As the afternoon wore on I noticed that it was getting warmer inside the house.  I futzed* with the thermostat a few times to get the air to come back on.  I would hear a reassuring, but ultimately deceptive click.  The thermostat  temperature climbed from 78, past 80 and finally settled on 85 for the better part of the last two days.   

That night I called our local cooling/heating/plumbing entrepreneur to see if someone could keep look at it.  I spoke to the answering service, which I half expected.   They took my message and advised that the dispatcher would call me the next day.  Apparently the people we have been   dealing with for years does not have an emergency night crew.  Bummer, but I coped. 

The next day it was frustration and extremely hot in the living room.  Frustration because the dispatcher called and said their technician would be out with a window of 2:30 to   4:30,  and  they would call 30 minutes before arrival.   At about 4:15 the call came, not from the assigned technician, but from  the dispatcher saying that the original technician was held up on a job,  but they were sending out another technician, This time the window was 3:30-5:30.

Typical.

In the meantime I began to feel so warm that I became weak and lethargic.  Also,  I had stopped sweating.  I was sure I was having an episode of heat stroke.  Also the thermometer which my AAPC** chapter purchased to check people's heads as they come in for meetings (which have still not happened),  beeped loudly with the reading that I was running a fever.

I put ice bags on my head until I could feel that I had cooled down.  Also I started sweating again,  which normally makes me feel very uncomfortable,  but in this case I know it's a good sign.  

The second technician called at  4:50 to say he would be there in 40 minutes.   It was actually 5:50 when he did arrive, but quite personable and eager to diagnose my problem.   A quick check of the fuse box showed that the fuse had been tripped.  A flick there and back outside to look at the main unit.  It took awhile and he came in with grim news:  the compressor was shot and to replace it would cost nearly as much as a new unit.

Okay,  so all of five minutes I thought I could get away cheap.  Then he went into some detail about part availability:  this unit was so old that parts (such as compressors) are hard to find.  The technician also explained that the heater could also stand to be replaced as it was just as old as the air conditioning unit.

He gave me a few ballpark figures,  each higher than the other.  So now I'm hot and feeling that my checking account would be thinned out shortly.  This technician said someone would contact me the next day to give me more details.  The best news I got:  they could loan me a few window units to get me through until the work on the full units could be done.   Yay!

Long story short:  I decided to bypass the financing plans and pay for the whole thing while I have the money.  The new system will be installed on Monday.   I'm looking into the new units as protecting my investment and perhaps increasing the resale value of the house down the road.  The money I used is part of the life insurance policy I cashed in when Anne Marie passed away.

It's forcing me to be philosophical about her death.  There is after all a reason for every event and everything else which happens in our lives.   If only I could have had both a new system and Anne Marie.

If only fate would've been kind enough to grant me this wish....

 

*Look up that word in your Spo and Wagnells! 

**American Academy of Professional Coders, which is not listed in your Spo and Wagnells. 

(As always, thinking for reading.) 

12 Comments:

Blogger Travel said...

Ouch! The heat/humidity and then the AC stops working. Icky! It was not fit out for man nor beast the last few days.

August 29, 2021 at 7:37 AM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

The same thing happened our first summer in this house, the 36 year old HVAC gave up the ghost and would have been too costly to repair. We ended up spending a small fortune on a new one, but it's been worth every penny. And it WILL increase the resale value if you decide to sell in the next few years.

Enjoy your cool, cool air!

:)

August 29, 2021 at 8:04 AM  
Blogger Bob said...

We've been there with AC out in the midst of summer and it is not pretty.

Think of it as a gift from AM, and she keeps on giving.

August 29, 2021 at 8:25 AM  
Blogger Raybeard said...

Can't say anything that comes anywhere near your own Summer of drama, though your weather [of various kinds] has been making the news a lot over here too - including what's expected to be hitting Louisiana pretty soon.
After an unseasonably hot couple of weeks in May we've not had anything since then to touch it. In fact Summer this year for us has largely been the biggest wash-out for at least a couple of decades, with temps rarely brushing even 70F on any day at all - so you'd be just LURVING it! But then the entire world is now having screwed-up weather, and which looks like it's gonne be here to stay - only getting worse and worse.

August 29, 2021 at 10:01 AM  
Blogger Dave R said...

You're so right, it has been stinky hot and humid, and add to that what seem to be daily rains. It's as though we're in the fucking rainy season!

And sadly, this is how Karma works sometimes, it's not 'what goes around, comes around,' it's how the universe balances itself.

August 29, 2021 at 10:06 AM  
Blogger Debra She Who Seeks said...

I bet you looked very fetching with those ice bags on your head. "It's called FASHION, Karen, look it up!" Glad you're getting a new system.

August 29, 2021 at 11:19 AM  
Blogger Jimmy said...

Your new ac unit will probably be more efficient and will lower your electric bills. Win Win!

August 29, 2021 at 5:09 PM  
Blogger Ur-spo said...

mercy sakes! heat stroke kills more people than other illnesses.
I will rest easier knowing you matter is ending soon.

August 29, 2021 at 8:23 PM  
Blogger todd gunther said...

Hi Travel. Yes, that sums it up perfectly.

Thank you Jennifer. The window units got m =e through the weekend.

I agree that she did gift me this unit, Bob. Still, I wouldn't mind if the gift giver was still with us.

Hi Raybeard. I correspond by e-mail with an old friend in Merseyside on Sundays. She found it comfortable enough to sit in her garden for awhile yesterday, but yes it is still too hot.

Karma can be a bitch sometimes, Dave R.

Thank you, Debra. Unfortunately I did not get a chance to check my image in a mirror, but we can surmise that I looked at least handsome. (HA!)

Efficiency and lower power bills. Yes, Jimmy those are good thoughts to keep in mind.

Thank you, Spo. I should have a comfortable house again after today.

August 30, 2021 at 7:34 AM  
Blogger uptonking said...

Futzed is a lovely wordy... I also like it's adjective version... futzy (which isn't quite recognized yet, but one day, will be). Sorry for the troubles and savings going buh-bye. Life happens. Even when we'd rather it didn't. Kizzes.

August 30, 2021 at 9:58 PM  
Blogger todd gunther said...

Thank you, Upton. I forgot about "futzy".

August 31, 2021 at 8:49 PM  
Blogger Fearsome Beard said...

You’re a fast learner!

September 6, 2021 at 9:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home