arteejee

A site of satirical musings, commentary and/or rhetorical criticism of the world at large.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Southeastern, Pennsylvania, United States

Saturday, September 04, 2021

Saturday Post Vol. 3, #31 - A Holiday Weekend

I can't pretend that this 3 day weekend is going to be a tough one to get  through.   My job has given me something to do for eight hours a day for five days a week this summer.  Believe it or not I am grateful I have something to do during the week.   It is a great distraction from the turn my life has taken.  Otherwise I would just sit, think,  think some more and ultimately think too much about my life and from there I would feel a bad case of the blues coming on.

I really don't need a long weekend now.  Yes, I feel tired and I know I need some down time like everyone else.  Physically the inactivity is good; mentally/emotionally I need downtime like I need a hole in my head,  as the old-fashioned quaint expression goes.

The Labor Day holiday this year will be a challenge.  Not only is it a day without occupational distractions,  but it will also be the 67th anniversary of Anne Marie's birth.

Now you see where I am going with this?

Any way, I need to be philosophical about it all and treat her day like we always did:  wishing her well and posting some sort of tribute worthy of her memory.  In her blogging days she would post a Saturday Night Dance Party with music which she likes,  sometimes the music said something daring or worthy to remember,  and above it all danceable.   In that spirit I will post three videos which I think were among her all-time favorite performances.

 SING, SING, SING:  BENNY GOODMAN ORCHESTRA

 


This is really an extremely short version of a classic American jazz tune.  This is not the definitive version,  but this performance has Gene Krupa on drums and Harry James on trumpet.  


THIRD MOVEMENT FROM CONCERTO IN F FOR PIANO AND ORCHESTRA


George Gershwin was one of Warrior Queen's favorite composers.  We always turned up the radio when WRTI played Rhapsody in Blue.   I think this was her favorite performance from the film An American in Paris, performed by Gershwin's protege Oscar Levant.


CAST YOUR FATE TO THE WIND - VINCE GUARALDI




Like most people we got to know and appreciate Vince Guaraldi through his work with the Peanuts television specials.  I'll save Linus and Lucy for another day. For now I will post this in memory to someone who did cast her fate to the wind.  

Happy Birthday, Anne Marie, wherever you are.

(Thank you for reading.  Dance if the spirit moves you even if the rhythm doesn't.)

 

14 Comments:

Blogger Mistress Maddie said...

Happy Labor Day Todd. The first of every holiday will affect you...but it will get better with time. What three fitting songs for AM. I say we all raise a glass of libation tonight and celebrate her life anyhow...your right. I shall call soon and we can meet up for a dinner one night.

September 4, 2021 at 2:17 PM  
Blogger Debra She Who Seeks said...

I'll be thinking of both Anne Marie and you on Monday. It will be a hard day for you but I hope that many good memories will visit you and give you comfort. You chose three outstanding videos to honour her!

September 4, 2021 at 3:13 PM  
Blogger Breenlantern said...

We will drink to AM and you this weekend. If you need any additional support or understanding…you know where to find me.

Hugs.

Sassybear
Www.Idleeyesandadormy.Com

September 4, 2021 at 9:39 PM  
Blogger Dave R said...

Lucky me, I only get 2 days off this weekend, retail, you know? And it's Rhapsody in Blue for me; such an classic piece of American Jazz!

September 5, 2021 at 8:26 AM  
Blogger Jimmy said...

Rhapsody In Blue/Oscar Levant equals genius. Then add Cast Your Fate...perfection!

With your work, the week will go by fast.

September 5, 2021 at 8:50 AM  
Blogger Deedles said...

I love all of these, but the long version of Sing, Sing, Sing is one of my favorites.
You hang in there, Todd. Have dinner with Mads. He is a real mood lifter.

September 5, 2021 at 11:46 AM  
Blogger todd gunther said...

Hi Mistress. Thank you for your thoughts. Yes,we must get together soon.

Thank you Debra. I'm slowly introducing people to other sides of Anne Marie's personality and interests. There will be more soon.

Thank you Sassy for your thoughts. I will keep you in mind. So far, so good.

Hi Dave R. Yes, I remember my retail days. I wouldn't have the energy for that work now.

Hi Jimmy. Yes, it will be a short work week to cope and deal.

I agree Deedles, that the long version of Sing, Sing, Sing is the definitive version. You cannot beat the live version recorded at his Carnegie Hall concert.

September 5, 2021 at 3:57 PM  
Blogger Ur-spo said...

I was delighted to speak with you today.

September 5, 2021 at 6:54 PM  
Blogger todd gunther said...

It's always good to speak to you, Spo.

September 5, 2021 at 8:57 PM  
Blogger uptonking said...

VINCE GUARALDI is one of my faves.

Aww... this is touching. Thanks Arteejee.

Wishing you the very best.

September 5, 2021 at 11:49 PM  
Blogger Travel said...

Oh my,VINCE GUARALDI, that is so good. Take care, take time. Maybe a slow drive in the country would be a change of pace. We need to get up that way.

September 6, 2021 at 9:45 AM  
Blogger James Dwight Williamson said...

I want to lift a glass to Anne Marie today, as a Friend told me last night today would have been her 67th birthday. I guess I felt like I knew her more than I actually did and have proceeded from there. I don’t believe even though I knew her virtually I will ever forget her. All of the people who knew of her and of you, Send a huge collective hug and Best Wishes. Dwight Williamson

September 6, 2021 at 4:31 PM  
Blogger todd gunther said...

Thank yo Upton for your wishes.

Yes, Travel, it has been a while and it would be good to see both of you.

Thank you Dwight for the hug. I'll take all I can right now.

September 6, 2021 at 4:54 PM  
Blogger Fearsome Beard said...

My friend Todd,
My warmest thoughts are with you. All of us miss but none of us as you do. I write this in the final moments of the holiday weekend and as the date of her birthday passes. I hope you have made it through ok. She loves you wherever she is.

September 6, 2021 at 9:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home